Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early rut ?

Early rut ?

I was speaking to my mate earlier and he witnessed a buck mount a doe this morning down in Wiltshire.

Now I know this is early but has anyone else seen any signs, maybe with this perfect humid weather it will be early this year.

I've been out yesterday morning , stalked for about 5 hours and haven't seen a single deer, doe or buck, despite the fact that in 5 weeks i had 4 outing and each produced a buck.... definately no rutting yet here in Surrey... I'll give them at least another couple of weeks.

don't know if you call it rutting activity but saw a 4point buck this morning about 80 yds off so blew a few peeps and he came like a train to 10yds just through a hedge from me .I stood and watched till he wandered away down the hedge.
    I was helping out on a farm where I do not have permission yet.

I was up at Woodsmoke's (perth area) yesterday and spotted a buck chasing a doe around a field, big fellow wouldn't let her out of his sight

Quote Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
    I was speaking to my mate earlier and he witnessed a buck mount a doe this morning down in Wiltshire.

Now I know this is early but has anyone else seen any signs, maybe with this perfect humid weather it will be early this year.
    Yes. Came upon a buck and doe yesterday morning. The buck was chasing the doe about. Lay down on a knoll down wind of the action and watched. Eventually the buck appeared 70 yds away and I shot him. A good buck just shy of 16 kg with the right hand antler top half snapped off. Hadn't seen this specific buck before.

Regards

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by john.g View Post
    I was up at Woodsmoke's (perth area) yesterday and spotted a buck chasing a doe around a field, big fellow wouldn't let her out of his sight
    Yeah, but what do we know mate?
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Isn't that why this early it's called the false rut?

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    Isn't that why this early it's called the false rut?

I have been stalking and culling bucks in West Sussex since the end of May, and on average have been out Thursday to Sunday night every week with clients.

I have seen no confirmed rutting activity so far. Roe will sometimes have a false rut and I have know this to occur in September, but it is usually nothing of any consequence. However if this warm humid weather keeps up I would not be surprised to see the rut break out in the next 10 days or so, and therefore come in slightly earlier.

I have taken nearly all small yearlings and poor 4 pointers out, and this week had a further big Buck within 50yds of me and the client. The buck is sporting a very nice head that I estimate will go silver at least, possibly gold. That's 3 medal bucks I have seen so far this year on the ground.

If this weather keeps up they should start to come to the call soon, fingers crossed.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

this is called rut fever