Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will a Dachshund Take on a Fox?

Will a Dachshund Take on a Fox?

Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

That was an interesting wee video, I enjoyed that! Cheers
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Thanks. Ive got plenty more coming.

Good video, I had a cross with a jack Russell, worked really well, as they were bred for badgers there's no reason they will not tackle a fox, there was a private pack in Somerset, that hunted rabbits and foxes, only problem is when they go to ground, I once dug six out of one hole.

hey they will definately tackle and kill a fox, and pull it from underground. nowadays it is illegal to do so but I met a dachsen (grandfather of my own actually) that had been used for this purpose and had killed a few dozen. That is without shooting it first. Pretty battle scarred he was but still going strong. as mentioned by Taff they were bred for badgers (dachsen=badger) which are a lot stronger and sturdyer so a fox is fairly "easy" game for them.

Lucky mine are trained for blood tracking and not earth work. So I haven't had to dig them out yet .

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    Lucky mine are trained for blood tracking and not earth work. So I haven't had to dig them out yet .
    They may still go to ground wether trained for it or not, in the breeding.
    Know of a couple of teckels used for deer that have 'diverted' onto something more interesting esp if free hunting or moving deer.

Martin are u sure its illegal to use a terrier uderground? Definately not in scotland and pretty sure not in Eng either, just a few more guidelines.
    If u speak to some of the older terrier boys they can tell u all about when 'billy' was still legal quarry and in most case would be released after the dig relatively unharmed to be dug again at a later date.
    Fairly easy to tell the different bite damage from a fox or badger on a dog

I've been lucky countrryboy, they haven't gone to ground in 5 years and I guess they won't now. We have wombats which can weigh 30kg or about 3X the dogs so they can crush dogs in a hole. But their primary role is to track deer but they have been showing their hands at other things including following up animals on a driven hunt. Not sure about the duck retrieving though, they are never going to be a soft mouth but they do okay in the quick sand.

I had 1 that was bought for deer tracking but eventually ended up in the terrier kennel!

he tracked well but just couldn't be trusted to work free as he'd end up in a hole!

good working dog, I crossed him with both a jack Russell and a border. All the off spring worked well under ground, his legacy is still working away.

Only criticism, he was a wee b****r for scrapping with other dogs...........

My dogs hunt in a pack so they are well socialized. But the older one will scrap any dog that comes before near a hare or rabbit I've shot. The younger , bigger one will back up in principle.