Will a Dachshund Take on a Fox?

Good video, I had a cross with a jack Russell, worked really well, as they were bred for badgers there's no reason they will not tackle a fox, there was a private pack in Somerset, that hunted rabbits and foxes, only problem is when they go to ground, I once dug six out of one hole.

hey they will definately tackle and kill a fox, and pull it from underground. nowadays it is illegal to do so but I met a dachsen (grandfather of my own actually) that had been used for this purpose and had killed a few dozen. That is without shooting it first. Pretty battle scarred he was but still going strong. as mentioned by Taff they were bred for badgers (dachsen=badger) which are a lot stronger and sturdyer so a fox is fairly "easy" game for them.

Lucky mine are trained for blood tracking and not earth work. So I haven't had to dig them out yet .

Lucky mine are trained for blood tracking and not earth work. So I haven't had to dig them out yet .

They may still go to ground wether trained for it or not, in the breeding.
Know of a couple of teckels used for deer that have 'diverted' onto something more interesting esp if free hunting or moving deer.

Martin are u sure its illegal to use a terrier uderground? Definately not in scotland and pretty sure not in Eng either, just a few more guidelines.
If u speak to some of the older terrier boys they can tell u all about when 'billy' was still legal quarry and in most case would be released after the dig relatively unharmed to be dug again at a later date.
Fairly easy to tell the different bite damage from a fox or badger on a dog

I've been lucky countrryboy, they haven't gone to ground in 5 years and I guess they won't now. We have wombats which can weigh 30kg or about 3X the dogs so they can crush dogs in a hole. But their primary role is to track deer but they have been showing their hands at other things including following up animals on a driven hunt. Not sure about the duck retrieving though, they are never going to be a soft mouth but they do okay in the quick sand.

I had 1 that was bought for deer tracking but eventually ended up in the terrier kennel!

he tracked well but just couldn't be trusted to work free as he'd end up in a hole!

good working dog, I crossed him with both a jack Russell and a border. All the off spring worked well under ground, his legacy is still working away.

Only criticism, he was a wee b****r for scrapping with other dogs...........

My dogs hunt in a pack so they are well socialized. But the older one will scrap any dog that comes before near a hare or rabbit I've shot. The younger , bigger one will back up in principle.

sorry I was referring to illegal in the Netherlands, I would not know if it is allowed in the uk or not. true enough the badgers were just caught by the dachsen and then dug up and shot, foxes did not tend to fair that well usually.

hey Chuck did i tell you about my first JR that i hadcto pull out of a rabbit hole. I just got my fingers on the tip of her tail at my full neanderthal arms length. Lucky she wasn't docked is all i can say. She was great. Id drive around in my corolla shooting rabbits in the stubble and as soon as i open the door she jump across from the passenger seat and straight to it. I have a pic of her somewhere holding a rabbit as big as her.

How is Teddy? I'm just taking a break. The dogs have nothing its 6 degrees and pouring. Great days.

hey Chuck did i tell you about my first JR that i hadcto pull out of a rabbit hole. I just got my fingers on the tip of her tail at my full neanderthal arms length. Lucky she wasn't docked is all i can say. She was great. Id drive around in my corolla shooting rabbits in the stubble and as soon as i open the door she jump across from the passenger seat and straight to it. I have a pic of her somewhere holding a rabbit as big as her.
just on a walk and he got rolled by a husky while he was on the lead.:-| Lucky the JRs have a strong neck.

Dachshunds will take on a fox. Surprisingly they seem to be unscathed. Mind you they are pretty solid compared to a fox.

My Teckels hunt fox well above ground and below ground , they have accounted for many lamb and game bird killers it's the job they were bred for if they would not work below ground I wouldn't keep them

My Teckels hunt fox well above ground and below ground , they have accounted for many lamb and game bird killers it's the job they were bred for if they would not work below ground I wouldn't keep them

Fair enough. We have killer snakes, killer spiders and wombats. If I was a dog, I'm likely to encounter all of them which may kill you even before you find the fox. Hence I like mine to stay out of holes.

Back