Thread: Fallow doe squaked in

Fallow doe squaked in

First time out trying to call in a Roe Buck yesterday morning - no luck there, but couldn't get rid of a fallow doe. Everytime she wandered off and I started squeaking again she came charging back. After the second time I started filming her with my phone and was very obvious about it. She appeared agitated but did not run, she eventually just wandered off after about 15 minutes. Is this quite common? Triggering her maternal instincts?
    Cheers
    Bilbo
    Last edited by Bilbo; 06-07-2015 at 08:51.

I would strongly advise you to leave it for a couple of weeks before you start having a squeak, you`re only educating the bucks in your area, and when the time comes to try and persuade one to your rifle you may well think that they`ve all gone on their holidays when nowt happens !!

A big mistake a lot of people make, they think " I`ll have a practice " and start squeezing or blowing their bits of equipment far too early, a waste of time your doing more harm than good, wait until you see or hear some activity or, somebody local to you gives you the nod that things are stirring up or, you read on this site that things in your area are starting up, then have a blow or a squeak
    just my thoughts

Bob

I squeak Muntjac with a buttolo all year round. Roe bucks still come to the call during the rut.

I have bought Fallow does and Red hinds to the buttolo at this time of year.

Thanks for the replies.

Jubnut - do you use the same pattern of calls for the munties as you would the Roe. Cheers Bilbo

I can beat that one...the other night I was out after a problem fox, set up the Foxpro and started with a jack rabbit distress. Russell on the bush to my right and out pops this fallow doe and makes straight for the caller. I thought this was just coincidence so when I turn the caller off and the doe had wandered back into the woods I started up the caller.....like clockwork out came this doe again...straight to the caller. This went on several times...needless to say no fox that night but I might start taking the caller out when the season opens ha ha.

Like I said, in my experience these are my thoughts, but what do I know I`ve only been at it for 48 years with a little success now and then, just trying to help a bloke who`s stated it was his first time trying to call a roe buck, unsuccessfully .. IMO at the wrong time of year!

Can anyone confirm the ruts on ?????????? I would suggest NOT! and that it will be at least another ( depending on your location ) 3 - 5 weeks before anyone can confirm it`s on properly

Bob

Yeah pretty similar. Quiet fawn peep with buttolo turned into a gloved hand, work my way up to louder fawn/doe peep over time. Sometimes use doe distress, sometimes I don't. Only ever use the bottom of the plunger if I have a buck stood in cover barking.

No need to get offended bob. I couldn't care any less how long you have been stalking for. You offered your experience and I have offered mine. Bilbo can take what he wants from it.

No, the rut isn't on yet I am sure, and it wont be for a few weeks. Personally I don't think that Bilbo trying to call a buck now will do any harm. Like I said before I have called Muntjac all through the year and I still manage to call roe bucks in the rut.

If they are going to come to the call they will, if they aren't they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    Yeah pretty similar. Quiet fawn peep with buttolo turned into a gloved hand, work my way up to louder fawn/doe peep over time. Sometimes use doe distress, sometimes I don't. Only ever use the bottom of the plunger if I have a buck stood in cover barking.

No need to get offended bob. I couldn't care any less how long you have been stalking for. You offered your experience and I have offered mine. Bilbo can take what he wants from it.

No, the rut isn't on yet I am sure, and it wont be for a few weeks. Personally I don't think that Bilbo trying to call a buck now will do any harm. Like I said before I have called Muntjac all through the year and I still manage to call roe bucks in the rut.

If they are going to come to the call they will, if they aren't they won't.
    What makes you think I`m offended ? Absolutely not, matters not a jot to me, but, obviously it does to you!

Bob
    Last edited by bobg757; 08-07-2015 at 06:13.

I don't think Roe deer are like foxes and get educated to the call, they simply ignore it if they are not rutting so no point in calling yet.

Back to the thread I have called fallow does a couple of times.

A mate who does alot of fox control told me the other day that he has been calling Roe bucks for weeks with his Foxpro on vixen call. A couple of weeks ago he had three turn up one after another, two started sparring so eventually he had to pack up as there was no chance of seeing a fox. I might have to give this a go.