Let it begin!

Woodsmoke

Watched a good buck chasing a doe around last night. She wasn't interested, but he sure as hell was! Looks as though the rut is beginning up here! What's the story in your neck of the woods?

Said it before and I will say it againTHE RUT CAN'T BEGIN UNTIL A DOE COMES INTO SEASON , a buck showing interest in a Doe does not mean the rut is started or about to start, a buck is sexually interested for more or less the full time he is in hard antler, not uncommon to see a buck pursue A doe in June or even earlier doesn't mean the rut is about to start.

When you hear a doe going around calling , or see her actively pursuing a buck then you will know that the rut had started for certain.
i

Not at all , not my intention but we get the same posts year after year about the rut starting weeks before its due , ok we are at the end of the first week in July so it's getting close

To many people mistake normal buck behaviour for the rut , in roe deer it's the female that dictates rutting behaviour the buck does not have a great deal of say in the matter.

The average start of the rut is around 20th July and of course it can vary a little but not usually by very much, if you make a note of when you see true rutting behaviour in your own area and it will normally be around the same time each year give or take a day or two either way.

Well I say "Let it End" as well! Shooting good Roe Buck with their guard down is hardly 'sporting'. Their body weights are down and the meat is far from best. Unless you absolutely need to cull them for true management reasons, why not leave them alone at such an important time of their year? I honestly don't see why people get excited about it, other than poor stalkers who's only chance to get onto a decent Roe is when they are most vulnerable? Shooting decent bucks during the rut is awful practice!
MS

And who can honestly say they enjoy the prospect of undertaking carcass inspection an prep' in 36c heat? Certainly makes me think twice about pulling the trigger.

K

The rut is a fantastic time to be out watching whats around your area and the sights and sounds at that time of year are priceless.While I don't shoot many bucks in the Rut I do spend a lot of time out and about.

Well I say "Let it End" as well! Shooting good Roe Buck with their guard down is hardly 'sporting'. Their body weights are down and the meat is far from best. Unless you absolutely need to cull them for true management reasons, why not leave them alone at such an important time of their year? I honestly don't see why people get excited about it, other than poor stalkers who's only chance to get onto a decent Roe is when they are most vulnerable? Shooting decent bucks during the rut is awful practice!
MS

+ 1

It is very exciting but rather like me in my rutting years they are mostly blind to the dangers once ruled by their ????!

MS

+1 and so is shooting decent Bucks before they get a chance to Rut and spread there genes. Man I must stop looking at FB the pictures just depress me Roe are being so marginalized at the moment people should be spending more time shooting fallow (when in season) as they are the true pest Roe are predominantly browsers but I guess that's what you get for being the easier species of our deer to hunt.

Back