Thread: Taking the hunting meat home?

Taking the hunting meat home?

Hi Everyone.

Firstly, many thanks for maintaining an excellent website and stalking resource. I have just registered and began the journey of taking a real interest in stalking. I am really keen to start and will begin by undertaking a few organised hunting days.
    I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answer too.

Is it possible to stalk and purchase the meat to take home? Is this expensive and what are the logistical difficulties in organising this? Appreciate your help and advice.
    Thanks.

AMG

Most stalking guides will let you buy the carcase at dealer prices which is roughly 1 per pound.You may skin and buthcer it for your own use but not give any of the meat away or sell any unless you have aprroved facilties .May be best to see if your local butcher will do it for you for a small price

Most 'Agents' will let you buy the carcas, normally at Game Dealer rates, which is better than should you buy from your local butcher.
    The only down side, if there is one, is that you have to take the carcas 'as is' which means skinning and jointing at home.
    There may be the chance of skinning there at the stalking site, so all you need is a big plastic bag to take the skinned carcas home and then you end up with the jointing job at home, or if you have a local butcher, approach him with a view to jointing and making sausages from the scraggy bits.
    A butcher cannot take a carcas 'as is' as they are not allowed to mix fur with their meat in their chiller and it is not very often they have two chillers which would allow them to do so.

Alternatively you can find a kind person to take it to the butcher for you and then bring it back as sausages and joints.... Freezer is looking empty Eddy!!

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    or if you have a local butcher, approach him with a view to jointing and making sausages from the scraggy bits.
    A butcher cannot take a carcas 'as is' as they are not allowed to mix fur with their meat in their chiller and it is not very often they have two chillers which would allow them to do so.
    +1 to this - my local game dealer/butcher is only able to take any carcasses from me if I skin them first, as he only has one chiller...

AMG, I generally purchase the carcase from the estate / landowner where I have been shooting (Approx price 1.00 per 1lb. I have an agreement with a local butcher who will prep and joints, steaks etc, and then vac pacs it all for me. He charges me a nominal rate for this and keeps a couple of steaks back for himself. I generally dispose of the bones and hide myself thus saving him the cost of this..

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    AMG

Don't want to sound officious but normal protocol is for new people to post an entry in the Introduction thread first - let us know where you're from, etc.

Re: your question, as well as using the services of a friendly butcher it's not actually that difficult to butcher a deer yourself. Give it a go and you might surprise yourself! Saying that, the first time I butchered a deer I certainly ended up with some very surprising cuts of meat

You might find a local stalker who is willing to show you and many BDS branches run evenings showing how it's done. Dave Stretton at Donnington Deer Management has also produced a very good DVD.

Stone (from this site) also wrote a very informative 'how to' guide to butchering a deer as part of this thread: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...tchering+stone

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 16-04-2010 at 16:39.

AMG,

From when I first started stalking (paid days like you) I bought the carcasses I shot and butchered them. Its very satisfying going from stalk to table. As Willie G says it is a bit of a journey into the unknown 1st time - much better if you have a mate who has done before to join you. Found I needed to buy a few things - gambel, S hook, butchers knife and a larder fridge (40 e-bay) to make it manageable. If you don't have the fridge you can hang with fly net if its cold, but otherwise you have to get on and butcher it which isen't great if you were stalking all day and are working the next 5 days!

As Dom says Stone's guide is a tour de force.

Good luck
    Neal

Check out You Tube:

All told three videos that give you a good start point