Fitting Roof Lamp to Jimny

Tam the Gun

i would like to fit a lamp to the roof of a Jimny, this is unchartered territory - cutting a hole in a perfectly good roof.
:scared:

I would be greatful for any handy tips on what kit to use for this job and what lamp is the easiest to use. which handle is best etc.

where do you get all the bits and is there extra kit you would suggest as being essential to ensure the roof doesnt leak?.
:doh:
i currently use a hand held lightforce 170 that plugs into the 12v socket, is this lamp any use for this idea or is it best to buy another?.

Check out bigjimny.com forum as there is loads of info on there re wiring and where to run it and also the fact a Jimny's electrics are always live and switched on by earthing so you will need to tweet any standard wiring plans. A lot of people run the wire down the ariel mounting bracket to save cutting any holes and then mount the lamp to the roof rails.

Another option is to extend roof bars so they stick out a little above your door window. Fit the lamp to these, save cutting hole in roof but you will need a glove on your hand for cold nights!

If you don't wish need make a side mount plate and get the folding bracket done this to a pal's truck for him . I am selling a nr new complete Light Force sucker mount outfit bar/ folding bracket With a RC225 long arm

I fitted one to my vitara it was easy like you i was worried about cutting a hole in the roof and just ran a wire under the plastic trim on the a pillar direct to the battery with an inline fuse at the battery

agree its so easy but I would have run it vie a spot lamp relay if it were a hard wire job and independent illuminated internal kill switch just saves forgetting its on lol.

Lots of great info gents thank you, I am definitely interested in the kill switch.

i have looked at the tracer handle as it is compatible with my light-force lamp, any more tips you may have are welcome.

Put it through the roof. A friend of mine has it on a roof bar and it's nothing but a pain in the arse. Plus two people have the use of the lamp if it's through the roof and you don't get a cold hand in winter.
Ive fitted loads, there easy enough to do just don't forget the fuse. Last one I fitted was to a 14 plate helix, nervous times with the 2 inch cutter

Dingbro in Inverness stock the complete kits. Marine search lamps I think they call them. Neoprene out of an old wellie boot used as a seal will stop the roof leaking.

Dingbro in Inverness stock the complete kits. Marine search lamps I think they call them. Neoprene out of an old wellie boot used as a seal will stop the roof leaking.

Checked them out however the lamp has a verticle handle and i would much prefer a horizontal one. looking to fit the Tracer handle through the roof and stick the lightforce on it. just need to find a switch to put in the dash and sort the inline fuse and cabling. which will be easily sourced.

Does anyone know what sixe fuse would be best for this job.

Checked them out however the lamp has a verticle handle and i would much prefer a horizontal one. looking to fit the Tracer handle through the roof and stick the lightforce on it. just need to find a switch to put in the dash and sort the inline fuse and cabling. which will be easily sourced.

Does anyone know what sixe fuse would be best for this job.

Hi Tam

What Current does your lamp draw? -- If it draws 5 Amps you could use a 7.5Amp fuse. For a 10 Amp draw use 15Amp fuse.

If you can't measure the current (Amps) you can calculate it from the Wattage of the bulb & the 12 Volts that your Jimny uses

Watts = Amps X Volts

Amps = Watts / Volts

eg for a 100 Watt bulb running off 12 Volts ------- Amps = 100/12 = 8.33 Amps ---- You could use a 10 or 12 Amp fuse in this case.

Ian

I've sent a message to OP, but would appreciate insight from anyone else that's done it on a jimny. I'm just trying to figure out where is best to put it to avoid bracing etc.

Thanks guys - I ended up fitting the handle about 350mm back from the top edge of the windscreen and centrally widthwise. I cut a small hole in the roof lining to check the location after prodding it and feeling no obstructions.

IMG-20221218-WA0029.jpegIMG-20221218-WA0026.jpeg

IMG-20221218-WA0022.jpeg

Back