Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe or Fallow near Henley

Roe or Fallow near Henley

Was driving yesterday evening up the back of Fawley just outside Henley. Saw what I first thought to be a fallow buck - it was that sort of size and stocky, but was a Roe buck red colour and its antlers were thin and switchy looking rather than palmated - low bey tine and the rest just straight. Could n't get a really good look at it as was driving on a single track road and then Mrs Yummy Mummy in big white BMWX5 came round the corner and had to reverse back, and of course it was gone when I got back. Either Roe down here are much bigger than Scottish Roe both on body size and antler length. It did have its head down and was in woodland, so what I thought where its antlers could well have been sticks. Its got me wondering.

The area around Henley is awash with fallow.

There are both in the area but certainly more likely to have been a fallow.

I have seen five species of deer in that area along with other strange creatures.
    We were shooting pheasant some 20 years ago near Henley, we had three wallaby's come through the line on the first drive and on the last something that resembled a capibara!

Tis true, there is a lady near Henley who keeps exotic animals and they escape on what seems like a fairly regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    I have seen five species of deer in that area along with other strange creatures.
    We were shooting pheasant some 20 years ago near Henley, we had three wallaby's come through the line on the first drive and on the last something that resembled a capibara!
    was probably a mara. have heard of escapees not far from there

So, There you go, I know it wasnt dreaming.

After 5 pints of the Flower Pott's finest, much of the local wildlife can look very strange!

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.