Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my .338 Win Mag slot for Deer!

Got my .338 Win Mag slot for Deer!

Following on from here for people who find this at a later date...
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...t-look-so-good!

I got my FAC back and I've got the .338! For Deer and any other lawful quarry on land I have authority to shoot. Nice!

So, do I go for a new Tikka T3 Hunter for 550 or get my RFD to order me a Titan 6? Or do I get the Ruger M77 Hawkeye (which is a lot heavier)? I don't know, but I'm still leaning in the direction of the Hawkeye! I get the feeling a light rifle in this calibre may not be so pleasant!

That's great news. I have never fired one of these (yet).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Winchester_Magnum
    A heavy rifle or a willing ghillie may be required?
    Have fun. Regards JCS

I haven't fired one myself (yet)!

Heavy rifle is the way to go. I homeload so I'll drop them down to starts until I get used to it and then slowly work them up. From reading on the American sites with the right bullet selection meat damage is a lot better than with the big .30s as they rely more on bullet weight than speed to achieve their muzzle energy figures. A 225grn bullet can be driven at sensible speeds and with the right bullet costruction (not too fast expanding) they open up enough to do the job but not enough to give a huge shock to the target and spoil it.

I can't wait to give it a go!

Well done NJC, i am pleased for you, though worried about this masochistic tendancy of yours with big calibres

Please post pictures of rifle and targets (or whats left of them)!!!!!!!!!

Atb, ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I can do better than that ft, I could post a picture of your target if you fancy it?

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    I can do better than that ft, I could post a picture of your target if you fancy it?
    NJC, That's a kind offer! One I would be glad to take you up on

Atb, ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Good Effort!

All the best with your new toy!!

Colin

Good god, i'm very surprised!

Well done, but i think you'll perhaps shoot a deer once only with this calibre.

Well done, Glos seems to have got their act together and wizand up.
    Bigger is better

I don't plan to shoot a lot of Deer with it. I have my combi gun (7x57r) for most jobs and I've got a scope coming for it soon. I have the 6.5x55 too and it's just a bit too close to the 7mm to be worth keeping I feel. I'll scope up the .338 and that can be used for shots where the combi will start to struggle, like long range hill shooting.

I'm hoping to get back to Canada when my mate finishes his tour of Afghanistan, so since I've sold the .375H&H and the 6.5 was the most powerful gun I had I figured I needed to up the armoury a bit ready for that. The thought of taking on a Bear with a 6.5x55 made my backside twitch a bit!