Thread: Well I pulled the trigger on a new CZ .223....

Well I pulled the trigger on a new CZ .223....

Might use it for shooting a doe or two over here but my main goal is to get better at shooting. I have a range where I can practice at 3-4-500 yards. The ammo is a decent price in the states and it gives me a different feel than just shooting .22s. I hunted for a few years with a .223 killing 7 deer, two bucks and the rest does, all with one shot kills in the heart lung area. Longest retrieve was 60 yards. As you chaps say, minimal meat damage but it is limited in power.

Got the 527 with Mannlicher stock. About $700 U.S.

Stock pic, should be here this week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cz223.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	58880

Quote Originally Posted by Sharptop View Post
    Might use it for shooting a doe or two over here but my main goal is to get better at shooting. I have a range where I can practice at 3-4-500 yards. The ammo is a decent price in the states and it gives me a different feel than just shooting .22s. I hunted for a few years with a .223 killing 7 deer, two bucks and the rest does, all with one shot kills in the heart lung area. Longest retrieve was 60 yards. As you chaps say, minimal meat damage but it is limited in power.

Got the 527 with Mannlicher stock. About $700 U.S.

Stock pic, should be here this week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cz223.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	58880
    Those Lux models are nice. Very classic looking but I'm not certain I'd have bought one for any sort of long range work. The stock is all wrong for scope use with regard to drop at the comb and heel, and add that the 527 pretty much requires high rings to clear the bolt handle. You may end up shooting with your head erect! Not the best for long range shooting where parallax can cause difficulties. I think I'd have gone with the standard 527 American. But that's me.

Hope it shoots for you. ~Muir

Muir ! CZ changed the design of the bolt handle on all 527 models almost two years ago ! So no more problems to clear the bolt handle

Hi and welcome to the site.

I believe Muir is being diplomatic.

A stutzen is pretty much the finest backwoods configured rifle out there but it is not a 500 yard tack driver nor is it intended as such. Notwithstanding scope mounting geometry as may or may not be permitted by bolt lift.

All the best

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Konnari View Post
    Muir ! CZ changed the design of the bolt handle on all 527 models almost two years ago ! So no more problems to clear the bolt handle
    Provided that rifle hasn't been in CZ USA's stock room for two years...~Muir

Well I reread my post and could clarify. I will be using it more at 100-200 yards but have the option to try out some longer distances. Really want to get some more trigger time with a centerfire rifle with little kick at a more reasonable cost and have something that looks good in a bikini.

As a Mannlicher fan, I have been wanting a CZ 527 Mannlicher for ages. I love the rifle version of it just as much, with the hogback stock and open sights ( old Mauser and Sako style ).
    Let us know how it shoots, and what ammo you are using. The SC DNR officers swear by the Winchester 64-gr SPT for their deer and coyote culling.

Collierville (Memphis Area) Tennessee USA
    I have a Cz527 Carbine and it is an excellent shooter. Bought mine about 10 years ago and it has a 1 in 12" barrel. It is my go to coyote gun. I really enjoy the set trigger on the range.