Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .7mm-08

Question .7mm-08

Hi all,

Soon be getting a Remington SPS Stainless/Synth in the above. Will be loading my own so looking for any help about bullets, powder etc. Will be a one gun man (as far as deer go) so looking for ideally a good recipe for all UK speices, though I get that it might not be that simple. One load/bullet weight would be super - simpler the better IMO.

Thanks

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

May I suggest that you search the past posts

There is plenty of info available from forum users of the 7-08

Try this for starter

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...highlight=7-08

Best of luck with the 7-08

Peter

Sam, My variation for a 7mm-08 should come next week, according to my FEO. Please post what you find works for you, I will be very interested.

As an aside, why the Remington? Are you going to upgrade the trigger etc as everyone else seems to?

Atb, ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    .As an aside, why the Remington? Are you going to upgrade the trigger etc as everyone else seems to?
    Hi Ft.
    Having decided on the calibre Im looking for guns in 7mm-08 and Tikka, Remmington, Steyr, Weatherby seem to be the only ones within my budget. I dislike magazine guns. I have had one, and a floorplate, and I think for stalking your better off with the Floor Plate. So that rules out the Tikka and Steyr. Out of the other two it came down to two reasons.

1. I got a very very good deal on a Remington.
    2. A freind of ours (ex British Shooter and knows his onions) Told me to avoid Howa actions. Apprently they stretch, this did not sound good, and as I said before he knows his onions, I trust him in such things, so followed his advice and went Remington.

The aftermarket things for the Remington appeal - having had the most un aftermarket rifle ever (Steyr Prohunter). I think I will probably get the trigger done, and a new stock fitted when I can. I belive the new Remington trigger are better though having teamed up with Timney(?) so we shall see. I used to really like the idea of buying a factory rifle and not "having" to do play with it to make it better. However I am now of the mnd set that if I can ge the gun to shoot and look exactly as I like then why not?

Incidently I really like the Bell & Carlsonn in Freedom Green

Sam

Sam, I'm almost there bud...... just another few thousand rounds through my Howa & I'll be able to chamber a .50!.......any one heard of Vanguards stretching?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Sam, I can't blame you, most custom riflemakers are more than happy to use the Remington actions, they can't all be wrong!

I have not looked at Bell & Carlsonn, but I will now.

I like the idea of a Tikka, because of their one size fits all action and magazine, it should be possible to load the longer 7mm bullets, unlike some of the other short action makes. But I too would have preferred a floorplate rather than a drop-mag, but becuse my FAC was such a long time coming I did not put a deposit on a lovely (second hand) Sako 75 Deluxe that Andrew Banner had in stock. By the time my FAC came through the rifle had been sold. Pity

I have two mates with 7mm-08s, one has a Remington and he is very pleased with it indeed. He did have the trigger done!

Off to look at the b&C site!

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

FT,

Check the bottom of this page Thats the B&C Im after http://www.border-barrels.com/varmint_rifles.htm

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500
    Weatherby evidently taught Howa how to make a superior, modern bolt action and they learned the lesson well. The Vanguard is a heavily modified Mauser pattern action that incorporates as many Weatherby Mark V features as possible. Its Mauser heritage shows in its small body bolt, dual opposed front locking lugs and 90 degree bolt rotation. Vanguard features common to both the Mauser 98 and Mark V include a flat bottom, forged and machined steel receiver with an integral recoil lug, generous loading/ejection port, one piece bolt, one piece firing pin and hinged magazine floorplate. The release for the latter is mounted externally in the front of the trigger guard.
    From the Mark V action the Vanguard action derives its three gas escape vents in the side of the bolt body and a streamlined steel bolt shroud that completely encloses the rear of the bolt. There is also a cocking indicator below the shroud. The ejector is a claw in the front of the bolt and the ejector is a reliable spring loaded plunger in the bolt face, making the Vanguard a push feed action. The trigger is user adjustable.
    Like the Mark V, cartridges may be fed directly into the Vanguard's chamber and the bolt closed. The bolt face is recessed to enclose the head of the cartridge. The Mark V may be faster, smoother and even stronger than the Vanguard, but the Vanguard is a very strong, well designed and well made action in its own right. borrowed from a Mr Chuck Hawkes review page, would have thought this guy would know of any "stretched "parts
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I have the same pattern stock in black on a heavy barrel pss .223

With all due respect to Chuck Hawkes. I'd rather go with my man.

And Im rather jealus of that stock

Sam