Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For traditional archers

For traditional archers

Posted under Wild Boar, but figured some might not see it there.
    400-lb boar with arrow

I thought maybe some of you have hunted overseas with your bows, too.

Nice Hog!!

Unfortunately, Bow Hunting, in Europe, is illegal; for the most part. There are a few countries but very few.

I have a Bear Hunter 60LB and it has, yet, to draw blood. Now that I am living in Scotland, the chances are even less; but who knows? Perhaps, someone will be able to convince enough 'Big-Wigs' that the arrow is more Humane than a bullet and Archery can start back up again.

That is TRUE Stalking.

Well I'd not give this thread too long, going on past experience.......

Quote Originally Posted by BearStalker View Post
    Nice Hog!!

Unfortunately, Bow Hunting, in Europe, is illegal; for the most part. There are a few countries but very few.

I have a Bear Hunter 60LB and it has, yet, to draw blood. Now that I am living in Scotland, the chances are even less; but who knows? Perhaps, someone will be able to convince enough 'Big-Wigs' that the arrow is more Humane than a bullet and Archery can start back up again.

That is TRUE Stalking.
    Which Bear bow do you have?
    What spawned this thread is that I picked up a Bear Kodiak Hunter in 45-lb at a church fundraiser sale, and contacted Owen about what string to use on it. I got this photo of him with the hog.

I have a Bear Kodiak 65-lb, and a 55-lb Magnum and a 35-lb takedown.

If you ever get a chance to come to the USA or Canada, I can tell you good places of real big German bloodline boar and black bear. I am still trying to get my first bear with a bow.

Since there have been long threads on here by bowhunters ( abroad ) and field archers who want to hunt with archery tackle, I cannot tell what is socially acceptable and what is not.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fred-bear-kids.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	58931

While it may not be as traditional as a Bow I have recently purchased my first crossbow to take on a Black Bear hunt in the Shenandoah in Northern Virginia at the end of October. I was a little bit hesitant at first but they are awesome within an hour I was shooting sub 2 inches at 45 yards. Lot of practice to go but there is something quite special to me about hunting such a large animal in a close and silent manner.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	733.8 KB 
ID:	58935

There are some huge bears in the Shenandoah Valley, the breadbasket of Virginia. The mountain range is a National Park and sanctuary, with farms and orchards on both sides of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I used to hunt right at the foot, in a farm off highway 640 north of Bedford ( lost most of their men in the service on D-Day). A hunter just north of me killed a 500+ lb black bear that fall. My ancestors settled up at the northern end about 1720, and a cousin still has one of the farms.

Do you need special permits for bear, and do bow hunters need a different one?

In most states, you buy a Big Game Hunting License, resident or non-resident, which covers deer and some other native species like antelope, maybe wild boar, etc. In some states, that covers bears, too. In most states, you have to purchase separate tags for bear, elk, moose, mountain goat, sheep, mountain lion, etc. In some of these, you can just walk up and buy an "over-the-counter" tag. In other states, you may have to put your name in to a draw in the Spring, for a chance at a limited number of tags.

Virginia requires a $111.00 Non-resident Hunting Licence for all game
    plus a deer/bear/turkey combination license for $86.00,
    plus an Archery License for $18.00.
    Hunting Licenses Fees

And some states, with huge numbers of bear, like Washington or Minnesota, may make you draw for a tag in a certain area or Hunt Unit.
    Another state with fewer bears, concentrated in a small but rugged area, like South Carolina, just lets you try your luck with your Big Game (deer) license, but the season is only about a week or two. They want you to bring the bears in to a check station for biological surveys.

Hi Southern.
    Do you eat any Bear Meat? I saw a Documentary Filmed up in Minnesota following Black Bear. The Naturalist was hand Feeding them Macadamia Nuts! Anyway he visited a Hunter to get another Perspective on the Bears and was offered a Bear Burger. He had to concede it was the finest Burger he had Eaten.

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    There are some huge bears in the Shenandoah Valley, the breadbasket of Virginia. The mountain range is a National Park and sanctuary, with farms and orchards on both sides of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I used to hunt right at the foot, in a farm off highway 640 north of Bedford ( lost most of their men in the service on D-Day). A hunter just north of me killed a 500+ lb black bear that fall. My ancestors settled up at the northern end about 1720, and a cousin still has one of the farms.
    Thanks Southern I'm very fortunate to leave near the Shenandoah valley and already spending every other weekend fishing in the river and grilling with friends it's a beautiful place. I'm heading west of Winchester which I think is close to the area you mentioned. I understand Virginia has nearly 6000 black bears and aims to cull approx 1000 so no restrictions at present apart from the usual state licenses. It's a very affordable way to bag a bear and the outfitter I have chosen had and 80% success rate last year. Average size is around 300lb from what I understand. The meat as already mentioned makes great burgers and stew but what I really look forward to if I am lucky is the rug for my study will be the ultimate trophy to me to remember the hunt.