Thread: Roe resilience

Roe resilience

HI all

It's often posted on here about how tough animals are and how they bounce back from injuries. Thought I'd share this of a buck shot recently. Apart from his odd antlers he looked fine and well and was grazing without any issues. On inspecting him though he had a noticeable lump on his lower jaw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150706_080747.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	481.8 KB 
ID:	58927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150707_151505.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	299.0 KB 
ID:	58928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150707_151521.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	58929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150707_152759.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	58930

Cleaned it up and looks to have broken it at some point. All fused together loosely with new bone and cartilage. Just thought it may be of interest to some of you.

I've learned from here that leg injuries cause inconsistencies with the opposite side antler growth. Does anyone have anything else that would suggest that injuries elsewhere on the body have a similar effect on the antlers?

Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    Certainly on red stags, I've seen injuries/ailments which have caused malformed/stunted antler growth on the opposite side

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Novice

Interesting indeed. Especially as the deformity is on the same side - not the opposite. As you say it is well documented and proven that a leg injury on one side will affect the antler on the other (in all deer species.) I have seen this more than once but only heard of it in anything other than the leg. In that case a roe buck was shot with it's near side antler deformed. After gralloching it was found he had broken rear ribs (RTA they guessed) on the opposite, off side.

Perhaps a vet could explain why it happens or, at least if it could be restricted to just leg injuries. To that note could you move or copy this post to the Diseases section possibly?

Thanks for posting.
    Nick

hey, just had a look at the pictures but they are a bit small,

a break or a crack could definately result in this, but dont exclude bone infections (actinomycosis) or if it is originating from a molar some tooth rooth abcedation. the reason for antler abnormalities is (very simply put) is that the body signals local bloodflow to increase to aid in healing but this means other parts of the body miss out (aka a growing antler). the reason for same side or different side can be attributed to the way the arteries branch out and interact.

Thanks for the replies guys. When I click on the pictures they come up full screen if that makes it a bit easier to view. Don't know how to make them bigger on the post.

Since it has been drying I've noticed there are some further areas of damage around the base of the pedicles where they meet the skull/brain area. Almost like they have separated a bit and there is some extra bone mass. Reckon it had definitely had a fair hit from something. Will get some other pics up for those interested. Always fascinates me this stuff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150710_203447.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	59030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150710_203654.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	59031Attachment 59032

As above showing the damage/bone growth.

Quote Originally Posted by martijn View Post
    hey, just had a look at the pictures but they are a bit small,

a break or a crack could definately result in this, but dont exclude bone infections (actinomycosis) or if it is originating from a molar some tooth rooth abcedation. the reason for antler abnormalities is (very simply put) is that the body signals local bloodflow to increase to aid in healing but this means other parts of the body miss out (aka a growing antler). the reason for same side or different side can be attributed to the way the arteries branch out and interact.
    Many thanks for that information Martin, it is more simple than I thought! By the way, if you click on the photo it will enlarge.
    All the best
    Nick