Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best twilight binos

Best twilight binos

According to an article by Dr Holger Merlitz (at http://www.holgermerlitz.de/bino_per...rformance.html) the best twilight binoculars for spotting targets in twilight for 50 - 60 year olds (like me) is a 10x56, rather than the generally recommended 8x56, given the decline in the quality of our eyes.

So, if you're looking for new bins to cope with your aging eyesight, read the admittedly very heavy going article (or at least the non-scientific bits like I did) before making your choice.

His favourite bins in this category are Meopta 10x50 Meostar, if you want to know. I am going to try and find a pair to look through myself.
    Simon

6.5x55 and 22-250

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTW View Post
    According to an article by Dr Holger Merlitz (at http://www.holgermerlitz.de/bino_per...rformance.html) the best twilight binoculars for spotting targets in twilight for 50 - 60 year olds (like me) is a 10x56, rather than the generally recommended 8x56, given the decline in the quality of our eyes.

So, if you're looking for new bins to cope with your aging eyesight, read the admittedly very heavy going article (or at least the non-scientific bits like I did) before making your choice.

His favourite bins in this category are Meopta 10x50 Meostar, if you want to know. I am going to try and find a pair to look through myself.
    I'll read it but will take some convincing that 10 is better than 8 as frankly I've always thought a 7X56, from one of the top makers, would be the holy grail of dawn & dusk binos.

Even more so now I'm getting on.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Yes agreed on the 7x56. 10 x is also going have image stability issues. Personally I will die with a pair of top quality 8x42s in my hands and nothing else.

I have just taken the offer from Leica and have a pair of 8x42 HDR 402s, very pleased.

Well I've read it and by head hurts!

I was all set to eat a hat re my 7x56 comment until the article appeared to either play down or poorly explain the image stability factor that informed my view.

K

Hopefully I die with a good glass of red in my hands and a young voluptuous vixen half neked!..... Poke the binos!
    But then maybe I'm aiming too high

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    Hopefully I die with a good glass of red in my hands and a young voluptuous vixen half neked!..... Poke the binos!
    But then maybe I'm aiming too high
    Lol like your thinking and can only say that would be he prefered way to go. However the bins might still be needed with failing eye sight in such a situation!

Hopefully cris
    If eyesight going my sense of touch is still up to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    Hopefully cris
    If eyesight going my sense of touch is still up to scratch
    My mate had a braille television for when Dolly Parton was on screen.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTW View Post

Hi

If you get the oppertunity please try a pair of these and let us have feedback:

The Docter Nobilem 8x56 is a set of binoculars which review must be almost full of superlatives. The Analytik Jena continues the good traditions of the Carl Zeiss Jena company and the Nobilem series is an excellent example of it. The 8x56 model is characterized by an outstanding transmission, large field of view,very low astigmatism and chromatic aberration minimal even at the edges of the field. The latter advantage is especially worth emphasizing as the Docters have had one of the whitest image of all binoculars tested here so far. In such a white image any aberration flaws would be clearly visible but the Docters simply didn’t have any of them. The usage of the huge Porro system prisms is also worth emphasizing, as it resulted in aclear, bright image, free from any brightness losses at the edges.

The Docter’s test result is so good that it is difficult to find any disadvantages and, with a price twice lower than in the case of the Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica models which are comparable in terms of quality, makes this unit very appealing given the Docter’s transmission graph is an example to be followed by all other companies. No other binoculars, tested by us, have had a nicer graph so far.

All the best

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 08-07-2015 at 07:31.