Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First. Ever. Deer. Best. Night. Ever!

Regular Poster

First. Ever. Deer. Best. Night. Ever!

Was very kindly invited out shooting by one of the members on here. We were going to shoot some foxes and he drove us to a permission in East Sussex. Loads of fallow around, including a few prickets which will be less safe come August but after a bit of foliage maintenance we climbed into the double high seat. The whole permission is only about 15 acres, what we could see anyway.

He set up his caller in the middle of the field and we waited.

After a short while, well before it got dark, he noticed a dark shape off to one side. It was a muntjac buck. First one I've ever seen and the first he's ever seen on any of his ground in this part of the country. After a bit of squeaking he stood still enough to present a shot and I fired, hitting him in the heart as it turned out. He ran about 10m then died without a twitch. I was using my .223 with Federal 50gr HP.

Feeling absolutely chuffed to bits and still shaking from the adrenalin, we climbed back into the seat. Shortly after that, a fox came right up to the caller, close enough that I was worried I might hit it but then he moved a few feet away and met the same fate, dropping on the spot.

Still buzzing now...

Last edited by spandit; 07-07-2015 at 23:28.

well done that man ,may it be the first of many.
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Regular Poster
    Forgot to say, it was my 2nd and 3rd kills with that rifle and the first four legged fox I've ever shot!

Well done, without being too specific where was the ground where you shot the muntjac in East Sussex?

Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    Forgot to say, it was my 2nd and 3rd kills with that rifle and the first four legged fox I've ever shot!
    Well done on the shots.
    As a matter of interest does the above mean you're first shot was a fox with less than four legs

Shot placement looks spot on!
    Is that the exit wound? Looks like a big hole for a .223.
    Just a thought? If anyone can add to this? What doe's
    Muntjac taste like?
    I have had Red, Sika, Fallow, Is there any comparison?? Not that I will be in a position to eat any, at any time soon.

Kevin.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Well done, without being too specific where was the ground where you shot the muntjac in East Sussex?
    It was just North of Nutley. Feels a little perverse that I saw the first muntjac I've ever seen and then shot it...

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyEddie View Post
    Well done on the shots.
    As a matter of interest does the above mean you're first shot was a fox with less than four legs
    It was the elusive tripod fox. I shot it in very low light and didn't realise it was missing a leg until we picked it up. Somebody took the trouble to sew up the wound and rehabilitate the animal, only for me to come along and shoot it

Quote Originally Posted by yorky07 View Post
    Shot placement looks spot on!
    Is that the exit wound? Looks like a big hole for a .223
    Yes, that is the exit wound, illustrates the need for a sound backstop. We were shooting from a high seat so it went into the ground. Surprised me that it went right through but it wasn't a long range shot. Will let you know what it tastes like

Quote Originally Posted by yorky07 View Post
    What doe's Muntjac taste like?
    I have had Red, Sika, Fallow, Is there any comparison?? Not that I will be in a position to eat any, at any time soon.
    Similar to, but slightly better than [imo] young roe, so a little finer than what you have tried so far.
    The loins are in my opinion, and of those I have given them to, some of the best meat you will eat.
    I guess like anything it depends what they have been feeding on, but round these parts they are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    It was the elusive tripod fox. I shot it in very low light and didn't realise it was missing a leg until we picked it up. Somebody took the trouble to sew up the wound and rehabilitate the animal, only for me to come along and shoot it
    And there was me thinking you had shot a Pikey.

It was just North of Nutley. Feels a little perverse that I saw the first muntjac I've ever seen and then shot it...

Im kinda glad you said that really ,was it because it's an alien species ?would you have felt the same had it been a sika perhaps ? another alien .
    We don't have any roe on the shoot I live they're half a mile away at most but only pockets and I wouldn't shoot the first one I saw in fact I didn't that was 5 yrs ago .im not trying to pick fault with yr decision just wishing to perhaps get to the thinking for the outcome and that of other members .spot on shot ,just so we're clear your deer your choice I'm interested to see if the different species reflect different attitudes toward that species.
    norma