Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do or not to do!!!

do or not to do!!!

hi all
    i shot this chap monday morning and have made a few calls now and dont no either cut it and put on the wall or have it measured there is still some velvet but the pearling is amazing dont care if it not a medal because its a cracking head either way would just like your thorts
    lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roe head.bmp   roe head 2.bmp  

I think you have answered your own question Lee-stroud, if you dont care if it is not a medal then dont get it measured, hang it on your wall with pride.

skipp

Quote Originally Posted by skippy1001 View Post
    I think you have answered your own question Lee-stroud, if you dont care if it is not a medal then dont get it measured, hang it on your wall with pride.

skipp
    lol i get what your saying but if it was to make 1 ill kick my self for cutting it just wanted others thorts
    lee

Lee. If you think it might make a medal first thing to do is weigh it, if its over 500grams it may possibly make a medal, if under 500 it wont, you will lose a bit of weight over the 3 months as it dries out, so you need to allow for that.

Having done that and you still think it could be a medal, if you wish I could post the measuring formula, that would give you an idea if its worth having officially measured or not.

Lee,
    well done!
    That cut would be a classed as a full skull and would have a deduction of 65gms min, it would need to be 90 days old before it could be measured officially.
    It certainly looks a contender for a medal, but whatever you do,do not colour the antlers where the velvet has been..
    If you take it to one of the BASC tents at any of the gamefairs they are offering a measuring service.
    Or if you want I can give you list of the official measurers and where they are based.

regards
    griff

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Lee,
    well done!
    That cut would be a classed as a full skull and would have a deduction of 65gms min, it would need to be 90 days old before it could be measured officially.
    It certainly looks a contender for a medal, but whatever you do,do not colour the antlers where the velvet has been..
    If you take it to one of the BASC tents at any of the gamefairs they are offering a measuring service.
    Or if you want I can give you list of the official measurers and where they are based.

regards
    griff
    hi griff that would be great mate if you dont mind and i have been told to leave any velvet left as when fully dry it weighs nothing any way

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Lee. If you think it might make a medal first thing to do is weigh it, if its over 500grams it may possibly make a medal, if under 500 it wont, you will lose a bit of weight over the 3 months as it dries out, so you need to allow for that.

Having done that and you still think it could be a medal, if you wish I could post the measuring formula, that would give you an idea if its worth having officially measured or not.
    that formula mite be of use to thank you bogtrotter

Lee. Just to correct my earlier post I said if it weighed less than 500 grams it would not make medal status, I should have said unlikely to make a medal.

Here is a some what simplified trophy assessment, but will give you an idea if its worth having officially assessed.

1 Length. measure from the outside lower edge of the burr following the outside of the burr and the top surface to the beam and then up the beam following all curvature but over spanning the pearling up to the upper tine tip, add both lengths together
    take average then divide by two this figure is points.

2 Weight. divide by ten this figure is points.

3 Volume this is determined by immersing the antlers only in water but not the skull or pedicles [ you will need an elastic band and a set of spring balance type scales to do this] subtract this weight from the overall weight then divide by ten then
    multiply by three this figure is points.

4 Inside span. this is measured at the widest point between the main beams.
    very narrow span less than 30% of average length of beam no points
    narrow 30.01% to 35% one point
    average 35.01% to 40% two points
    good 40.01% to 45% three points
    very good 45.01 to 75% four points
    abnormal more than 75% no points

Award for beauty points.
    Colour.
    pale no points
    yellow or pale brown one point
    light brown two points
    dark brown three points
    dark to almost black four points

Pearling.
    smooth no points
    week pearling one point
    average pearling two points
    good pearling [pearling on each side of the beam] three points
    very good pearling four points

Coronets.
    week no points
    average one point
    good two points
    strong three points
    very strong four points

Points.
    blunt and poorly developed no points
    blunt and of medium development one point
    pointed and white tipped two points

Additions.
    up to five points can be added for quality of tines , of which up to three points will be reserved for regularity, and up to two points for quality.

Penalty points.
    up to five points can be deducted of which three can be deducted for unspecified abnormalities
    and up to two for tine defects, tines absent or very short two points deducted
    mediocre tines or from one beam only one point deducted.

Medal scores. 105.00 - 114.99 Bronze
    115.00 - 129.99 Silver
    130 and over Gold

Hope this is of some help to you.

Jim

If you get the head measured by cic and it doesn't make a medal i don't think they will charge you for the measuring and you can still cut it after it has been measured. it's always best to leave it full skull for measuring. I personally would see if it was going to make the grade before cutting.
    Last edited by daverl; 17-04-2010 at 13:20.

http://www.cic-wildlife.org/uploads/media/red_book.pdf Lee you will find that if it makes over 450 it is a contender that is the 360 plus the 90 deduction nice looking head and should score well if the weight is there and thats were the most points come from.