Thread: 2016 Holiday Accommodation

2016 Holiday Accommodation

Already people are starting to look into making bookings for 2016 holidays and if you are looking for a great cottage on a croft in the Hebrides then take a look at the Dollag's Cottage web site:

Dollag's Cottage at 7 South Shawbost

The cottage sleeps 6 with a double and two twin bedrooms and it makes the ideal location for either a sporting or a family holiday, or indeed a mixture of the two. As it is located on a working croft pets are not allowed. The cottage is newly renovated and is warm, comfortable and well appointed plus electricity and oil for the central heating are all included in the price so you will not be feeding a meter.

The area is probably most famous for salmon and sea trout fishing but there is also remarkable "wild" fishing for brown trout in hundreds of lochs and for some this is a much bigger attraction than the salmon. There is also excellent stalking for red deer available on the island plus a lot of shotgun sport with the woodcock probably the most well known.

Photos of the area probably "sell" it much better than anything I could write so here are a few:

The world famous Losgaintir (Luskintyre) beach which looks into Amhuinnsuidhe with its famous fishing and remarkable deer forest:

Up the river after a Spring salmon early in the season. I managed to hook, and get broken by, a fish on this particular morning:

Out for some wild trout fishing with a cottage guest who enjoyed a day on the moor and even managed a few trout for his dinner:

Feeding the pet lamb on the croft - guests this spring have really enjoyed getting to feed the two pet lambs and have even been called upon to give them names:

Having a cast for a salmon in good water on a nearby river:

Out on the moor at trout, this was taken on the way out to a day walking around a considerable number or increasingly more remote lochs:

Drifting on what is probably the most famous salmon loch in the UK on a difficult September day:

On the hill at September stags:

Or even at hinds:

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Pity about the 'No Pets Allowed' restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    No way you can risk bringing strange pets onto what is, basically, a livestock farm unfortunately.

If anybody with any sense knew their dog would be unsafe near livestock surely they wouldn't bring it would they ? Hmm, perhaps they would :-(
    I have a 'springadore' and she goes everywhere with us even to some of the 'Best Hotels' and some of the wildest cottages in Scotland and Wales and is perfectly safe with anything from Chickens to cattle and sheep in between.
    Mind you, we live in a country environment and she has been brought up with animals, but I can well imagine what some of the so called town pets would behave like when they are set free !!

I also agree, and is the only reason we didn't make a booking in 2015. But those are the rules so had to find dog friendly alternatives. Stunning croft in a fabulous looking area.

Mind you, we live in a country environment and she has been brought up with animals, but I can well imagine what some of the so called town pets would behave like when they are set free !!
    Unfortunately that just about sums the problem up, except that a lot of the very well behaved country dogs turn out not to be any better. I was recently assured that a "very well behaved dog" that had just chased a pregnant ewe off the rocks into the sea was "just doing her little doggy things." It is a welfare issue in the sense that you simply can't introduce strange and unknown animals onto a livestock farm without it eventually ending badly, no matter how well behaved the majority might be.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Unfortunately that just about sums the problem up, except that a lot of the very well behaved country dogs turn out not to be any better. I was recently assured that a "very well behaved dog" that had just chased a pregnant ewe off the rocks into the sea was "just doing her little doggy things." It is a welfare issue in the sense that you simply can't introduce strange and unknown animals onto a livestock farm without it eventually ending badly, no matter how well behaved the majority might be.
    On a happier note, they are some great photos! Looks like a beautiful place!