Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Advice needed

Question Travel Advice needed

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I need advice on traveling abroad with a firearm. I am going to Poland via Germany I have my EFP and a lockable flight case My question is can I pack the bolt, magazine, moderator and ammo with the firearm or do I have to pack them separately in my personal hold baggage? Knowing the depth of knowledge on these forums I'm sure somebody knows the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I need advice on traveling abroad with a firearm. I am going to Poland via Germany I have my EFP and a lockable flight case My question is can I pack the bolt, magazine, moderator and ammo with the firearm or do I have to pack them separately in my personal hold baggage? Knowing the depth of knowledge on these forums I'm sure somebody knows the answer.

Rifle, bolt, mag and moderator in the flight case. Check with airline how they want ammo handled. Some want it in a separate lockable container. Some allow you to put it in a lockable container inside your checked luggage.
    Get the ammo bit wrong and you can find yourself denied boarding at the gate.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Rifle, bolt, mag and moderator in the flight case. Check with airline how they want ammo handled. Some want it in a separate lockable container. Some allow you to put it in a lockable container inside your checked luggage.
    Get the ammo bit wrong and you can find yourself denied boarding at the gate.
    Agree with this. Have you checked the legality of the moderator in the countries you are traveling through/to? Not all Eurozone states accept them.

Thanks for that, I have asked Easy Jet via e-mail but Iv had no reply as of yet.

Good point Orion I will check out moderators in Germany and Poland, Thanks everybody for the advice.

SD Regular
    Beware fiddlers and twiddlers. That's to say, if you can, dismount the 'scope and take it in your checked in baggage rather than on the rifle. If it does go with (and on) the rifle I'd re-check your zero,

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Beware fiddlers and twiddlers. That's to say, if you can, dismount the 'scope and take it in your checked in baggage rather than on the rifle. If it does go with (and on) the rifle I'd re-check your zero,
    Never had a problem with 'Fiddlers and Twiddlers' when I used to take my 'mounted' Remmy to either Poland, Germany, Croatia, Lithuania or Czech Republic.
    I always pack my Scope and Bolt with the rifle and the ammo goes in a small metal cash box in my hold luggage.
    Only had a problem with ammo once so far when a stroppy 'security' guy at Heathrow said ammo wasn't allowed on passenger airplanes.
    That was after the other 14 guys had already boarded with ammo packed the same as mine.
    Even that was sorted when they radioed the pilot for permission !!
    I have never taken a moderator abroad as all my 'foreign' shooting has been for Driven Boar so need to swing freely.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I always pack my Scope and Bolt with the rifle and the ammo goes in a small metal cash box in my hold luggage.
    As above, but as i have a M03 i pack the bolt head in with the ammo. Reading SAS regs for carrying a rifle on the plane it does say to put a vital part, like bolt into your checked in baggage.

Went to Denmark for a long weekend shooting in the Cinema at Arhus. Only checked luggage was my Riflecase. No problem getting in but on way out they wanted my bolt in another bag. Wouldn't allow it in other shooters bag. Eventually saw sense.

Also went on a trip to Portugal where Easyjet allow your ammo in checked luggage on the way out but Potrugal doesn't on the way back. Had to be checked in seperate (). One individual in the party decided to stick it in anyway. At boarding he was taken away, didn't get on the flight to Luton and had to buy a new ticket to Gatwick.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
    have asked Easy Jet via e-mail but Iv had no reply as of yet
    EasyJet require ammo in separate locked container still in factory packaging. I used a hard plastic air pistol box with two small brass padlocks and that was fine

You'll also need 3 copies of the firearms declaration form per leg. One to be kept with you, one inside the rifle case, and one to be handed over at check in. Beware though! Not all their staff are clued up, and I had the most horrendous experience with them at Manchester on my return from the US. Give yourself plenty of time

https://www.flybe.com/baggage/exceptional-baggage.htm

https://www.flybe.com/pdf/FirearmsDeclarationForm.pdf
    Last edited by Woodsmoke; 09-07-2015 at 13:30.
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care