Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Target .22 lr

Target .22 lr

Hi all, I have. Cz452 varmint which is a cracking little rabbit gun and meets all my needs for small varmint t shooting. I am getting quite interested in target range shooting and looking to buy a second .22 lr with target shooting in mind. Althought that is not to say the gun won't be taken out in the field occaisionaly . After much research I have decided on one of the following 3 rifles.
    1) Anschutz 1416 D HB. 2) Sako finfire original. 3) HW 66 jagdmatch.
    i would be gratefull for any input you may have on any or all of these rifles, pros and cons and accuracy. Also how you found the weight/ length for ease of use.
    thanks for any input.

SD Regular
    Can't input on the last two but whilst the Anschutz is accurate there was just something about it that I didn't, personally, find pleasing. It may have been, from memory, the ergonomics of it or how it retained its magazine.

Sorry it's not much help. But if you can't try before you buy do at least lie down in the gun shop and manipulate the things. Not all will have their knobs and buttons and etc., in the right place for you compared with each other.

SD Regular
    If you can, and they have such things in stock, it may be worth a visit to the NSRA at Bisley?

Walther KKJ is one to look for -- The action is sweet & they shoot straight. Come in a few configurations including light sporter & UIT / running boar.
    I have two (one of each) & I wouldn't swap them for any other make.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Hi all, I have. Cz452 varmint which is a cracking little rabbit gun and meets all my needs for small varmint t shooting. I am getting quite interested in target range shooting and looking to buy a second .22 lr with target shooting in mind. Althought that is not to say the gun won't be taken out in the field occaisionaly . After much research I have decided on one of the following 3 rifles.
    i would be gratefull for any input you may have on any or all of these rifles, pros and cons and accuracy. Also how you found the weight/ length for ease of use.
    thanks for any input.
    Of the three:

Cheers

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

BSA Sportsman 15:-
    For Sale: Cheap Rimfire
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I doubt any rifle that would be a practical outdoor hunting weapon, would be very competitive on the smallbore range.

I would have thought that a full target (.22) Rifle would have been a little heavy to take out and use as a sporting rifle!
    Only yesterday I was handling, testing and photographing a very nice Vostock .22 Target Rifle (Ready to advertise it for sale for a gun shop I work with). Even though it was extremely accurate while "Bench Rest Shooting" (With Diopter Sights) and I found it extremely heavy - Certainly not something I would want to lug about in the fields!

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    I doubt any rifle that would be a practical outdoor hunting weapon, would be very competitive on the smallbore range.
    Agreed if it is shoot IOC recognized disciplines as overseen by the NSRA. More than adequate though if to take part in the increasing number of .22 rimfire sport-target events being promoted by hitherto full-bore orientated clubs. A classic case in point being the BSRC that, in recognizing the increasingly prohibitive cost of full-bore ammunition, has introduced 50M versions of their monthly Stalkers Test, Buck and Sitting Fox competitions for 22 rimfire only.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    thanks for any input.
    You need to define target range shooting Phillip as that covers a whole range of different disciplines with greatly varying rifle needs. You won't for instance be very competitive with a 10/22 in 25m prone events or vice versa with an Anschutz 1907 in small bore gallery rifle.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.