Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe buck recovery time after the rut

Roe buck recovery time after the rut

How long after rutting is it until bucks are back to 'normal', ie, weights are back up after feeding and the testosterone levels drop down thus affecting the quality and taste of the venison?

I have now seen 3 bucks on my bit of ground and although I'm keen to grass my 1st, I don't intend to go after one until they've finished rutting and recovered as I have plenty of time to bag one before the season ends,

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Not sure - but good luck trying to find them after the rut is over!

Got to agree with Mungo . Roe bucks are very difficult to find after the rut. If your numbers are ok get it done now.

Cant fault the information given before this post.

Roe bucks are seldom seen after the rut, and if you are going to take a buck do it now before the rut really starts. After the rut they feed up and lay up as they have lost condition and do not tend to show themselves so much. I would think the rut will start within the next 10 or so days especially if this warm humid weather keeps up.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Never found the roe venison affected by the rut to the same extent as other species , take a buck now before the rut starts or early rut and it will be fine.

Thanks for the advice guys I better get busy!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quick follow-up question off the back of Stratts query...

The 3 bucks on his ground will presumably be holding established territories by now. If (when?! ) Stratts catches up with one, will the remaining bucks simply extend into the vacated territory and pick up the available does?

I'm just wondering if thinning out bucks at this slightly later stage gives a degree more certainty over which bucks will pass on their genes than earlier in the season when there are more bucks around and they've not yet sorted out territories.

Shoot one another normally takes its place seem to move in quick

[QUOTE=andyf;991964]Quick follow-up question off the back of Stratts query...

The 3 bucks on his ground will presumably be holding established territories by now. If (when?! ) Stratts catches up with one, will the remaining bucks simply extend into the vacated territory and pick up the available does?

I'm just wondering if thinning out bucks at this slightly later stage gives a degree more certainty over which bucks will pass on their genes than earlier in the season when there are more bucks around and they've not yet sorted out territories.[/QUOTE

There is never a certainty of which bucks will pass on their genes it's the doe that decides which buck she will mate
    with sometimes traveling considerable distances to find one, possibly ignoring local bucks , she the tends to bring said buck back to her own territory for mating her first mating is normally with the best buck she can find ( however what her idea of what the best buck is and our idea of the best buck may be completely different ) after that initial mating she will mate with any and every buck that she can find
    for as long as she is in season which can be anything from a few hours to a few days, but that first mating will more often than not be the one that fathers her offspring.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the only certainty is the unpredictable nature of the deer!