Thread: remington 700 reloading

remington 700 reloading

I have just bought a Remington 700 tactical in 223 flavor it has a 1 in 9 twist and I am looking to start reloading does anyone else use this rifle and reload for it ?
    If so what bullet weight ect should I be looking to use for a accurate load ?
    I will be using the rifle for foxing.

cheers stew

The rifle make is relatively irrelevant. The .223 is a decent round and with a 1-9 you can do a lot.
    Every barrel is different so some can do heavier (longer) than what is the accepted norm.
    As alluded to in the last sentence, length is what ditactates what will stabilise. Therefore you will be able to stabilise heavier flat base bullets than boat-tails.
    This phot will show the kind of difference you are looking at
    Attachment 58990

Also, this link will contain a lot of what you want to know
    223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

You might want to pick up the "Remington 700 Loading Manual." In it you would find loads that shot best from every 700 Remington. Most shops have it right next to the "Tikka Reloading Manual"... I think. ~Muir

Thanks for the help greener Jim at least some people are willing to help newbies and not take the pxxx.

Quote Originally Posted by berthaboo View Post
    Thanks for the help greener Jim at least some people are willing to help newbies and not take the pxxx.
    must agree, if you would have asked for a load to suit a 9 twist 223 some would have asked for the rifle make....

If you want a load for fox I would suggest to start with something simple that will guaranteed work in your twist rate. Something around 55gr like the 55gr v-max and work your way up. You should get good results with little fuss and be able to knock some foxes while optimising your loads or trying other bullets. Even 52gr/69gr HPBT match bullets can work extremely well on vermin/fox. Some have had good results with Nos Custom Match being accurate and expand very reliable, possibly more predictable than some varmint bullets.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by berthaboo View Post
    Lighten up, Newbie.
    GreenerJ had it right. It doesn't matter what rifle you are using. I was trying to emphasize that point.

This what I was originally going to write: Get a good book and read up on reloading, including the relationship between bullet length and twist. Go to your supplier and see what bullets and powder are available to you and take and educated plunge. Not being mean spirited. Just trying to help educate.~Muir

I had a 223 700 LTR with a 1-9 a while ago and it would stabilise up to the 69 matchking but not the 75 amax , I always used the 60g vmax for foxes with varget and lapua cases
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Lighten up, Newbie.
    GreenerJ had it right. It doesn't matter what rifle you are using. I was trying to emphasize that point.

This what I was originally going to write: Get a good book and read up on reloading, including the relationship between bullet length and twist. Go to your supplier and see what bullets and powder are available to you and take and educated plunge. Not being mean spirited. Just trying to help educate.~Muir
    Sound advice Muir, It could save your fingers,eyes or even your life. Thats a little bomb you have right next to your face. Lets make sure it leaves your rifle at 45,000 cup safely. Get the book.jc