Thread: Case trim length

Case trim length

Afternoon all

I was going through some brass that came with my 0.223 last night and found that there was a bag that had already been prepped however I found when I checked that they had been trimmed to 1.730" rather than 1.750".

Will they be ok to use or should I ditch them?

Use them. My reformed 7-08 all come in short. Shoots great.~Muir

Similar query opposite circumstance…

The Barnes and Hogdon Data give 2.005" as the Trim length for .308

SAAMI spec gives 2.015-.020

My Lee case length gauge produces 2.015"

Do I need to shorten the gauge to produce 2.005"?

Why would Barnes and Hodgdon recommend something "off-SAAMI"?

Alan

PS Thanks to takbok I have just had another look at the SAAMI drawing and realise my mistake. I read 2.015-.020 as being between 2.015" and 2.020" It is a minus sign rather than a hyphen/dash and so the spec would be between 1.995" and 2.015" so that answers that part of my post.
    Last edited by Alantoo; 10-07-2015 at 13:36. Reason: Mis-read the SAAMI spec drawing

My Lee trimmer trims my .270W brass to 2.530" (Standard is 2.540")

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    My Lee trimmer trims my .270W brass to 2.530" (Standard is 2.540")
    Thank you for your reply, it caused me to compare the SAAMI drawing for your .270 and that made me realise that I had mis understood the SAAMI dimensioning system. I have edited my first post in case any body is misled by it.

I have also had a closer look at my Lee trimmer as yours is producing mid-range trims. On mine there is a bit of a machining tit in the centre of the shell holder which is proud enough that I can catch my thumbnail on…that is what the length gauge is seating on and is probably enough to add 0.005"

Thank you again.

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 10-07-2015 at 13:39.

Thanks for the responses, guessing it will stretch back up after a couple of firings anyway, just wanted to check there'd be no issues sealing the chamber etc as I'm still very much a novice reloader

Looking at the saami drawing its 1.760 -.030 so 1.730" is within tolerance
    Last edited by Boydy47; 10-07-2015 at 18:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    Thank you for your reply, it caused me to compare the SAAMI drawing for your .270 and that made me realise that I had mis understood the SAAMI dimensioning system. I have edited my first post in case any body is misled by it.

I have also had a closer look at my Lee trimmer as yours is producing mid-range trims. On mine there is a bit of a machining tit in the centre of the shell holder which is proud enough that I can catch my thumbnail on…that is what the length gauge is seating on and is probably enough to add 0.005"

Thank you again.

Alan
    Glad the small bit of info I provided was helpful. Try to remove the protruding bit on your shellholder with a file if you feel the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Thanks for the responses, guessing it will stretch back up after a couple of firings anyway, just wanted to check there'd be no issues sealing the chamber etc as I'm still very much a novice reloader

Looking at the saami drawing its 1.760 -.030 so 1.730" is within tolerance
    You'll be fine then.