Attention BDS Survey via BASC....more minding other's business!

enfieldspares

Got an email from BASC asking me to complete a BDS Survey on using deer urine. I don't, never have, never will. But I have completed the survey and under the "comments" section I posted this input:

"I don't use these (deer urine scents or scent devices) but see no reason to adopt a "holier than thou" attitude and press for them to be prohibited. What next? Banning pigeon decoying? Or the Larsen cage trap? Both after all use a "ruse" to deceive the target quarry. BDS is opening a can of worms that will only harm ALL forms of decoying by "dummy", by "sound" or by "scent"".

This is a "can of worms". What is the motive of BDS for this survey?

Last edited:
What is the motive of BDS for this survey?

No idea. As a member I was asked to complete the survey and did so (I don't use deer urine for anything and AFAIK no other deer stalker/manager/killer/hunter that I know does either). Other than as a simple request for information I don't recall any questions about banning it's use being in the BDS survey - or any inference that that was intended. However, I'm getting old so might have missed that bit? I'll ring up on Monday and ask what the motive is.

Isn't John Swift still associated with the BDS ?
If nobody can be shown to use it, then any proposals to 'ban' its use don't need to be opposed do they?
Why even get involved in a survey Shades of lead shot ?
it may not cost much but its an unnecessary expense surely?
I'm not with BASC so I will ask my org why its being done.

Just had a natter with BDS. They are trying to get a handle on how many folk use it in this country, as there is an identifiable risk of propagating Chronic Wasting Disease through contaminated deer urine. I guess the real question is, do the benefits of using deer urine as a lure outweigh the risks of getting CWD in the UK? I would suggest that the answer to that question is very much everybody's business ...? It would be interesting to know what steps folk take to ensure the bio-security and provenance of any deer urine they use.

Just had a natter with BDS. They are trying to get a handle on how many folk use it in this country, as there is an identifiable risk of propagating Chronic Wasting Disease through contaminated deer urine. I guess the real question is, do the benefits of using deer urine as a lure outweigh the risks of getting CWD in the UK? I would suggest that the answer to that question is very much everybody's business ...? It would be interesting to know what steps folk take to ensure the bio-security and provenance of any deer urine they use.

why not just issue a warning as to the risk along with the evidence

Does CWD exist in UK today or would anyone who was concerned about importation, ban imports of it, if not?
Or might all shooting organisations advise the adults who shoot deer to avoid using this attractant under any circumstances for the reason given?
It doesnt need a survey for either, or am I mistaken?

Apologies - the above post is better than mine.

Last edited:
Back