Here we go again...

slider

Right, apologies first as this topic has probably been done to death but....

just passed my DSC1 and about to apply for my FAC. Expect to be mainly shooting Roe but would also look for an opportunity at Reds or Sika at some point and don't really want more than one rifle.

So, "think" I have narrow this down to .270, .308 or 6.5X55

Am a wee bit nervous about the 6.5 x 55 about ammo supply.

have used a .223 (but not big enough for the flexibility I want) and .308 but neither of the other two calibers.

probably looking at a s/h rifle so that I can afford better optics

some basic pro's and cons of the 3 calibers would be appreciated.

Last edited:
.308 plenty of rifles about and you can buy ammunition in pretty much every gun shop you visit, wide range of bullet weights available. Couldn't get on with my old one personally, but probably the sensible choice.

6.5x55, never shot one but raved about by most but from my little knowledge, really comes alive with home loads which you may or may not be in to.

.270, ftw! Out of fashion maybe, some bargain rifles about. At home with 130 ish gr loads really. This would be and is my choice as a pure deer calibre but then I like things that are a bit left field.

Also consider 25 06, 30 06, 7x57, 280 ai if your feeling really different, & 7 08/ rem mag maybe.

All will work perfectly, and almost nobody would ever know the difference if they were randomly handed one of the three and told to go stalking.

Your only real consideration - and it is a very serious one - is ammo availability.
I
As Caorach on here advises every time this question comes up: go into your nearest gun shops and ask to see the full range of whatvthey have in each calibre. Pick the calibre with the best range (and the biggest stock within that range).

This will save you enormous amounts of ball ache.

My guess is that will leave you with a .308. This is no bad thing. There is nothing in the UK that will walk away from a moderately acurate shot from a .308.

I personally dislike the 6.5x55. But, as with all calibre prefernces, this is arbitrary.

Dammit mungo, beat me to it!

If not handloading then definitely base your decision on what your local RFD has the most of.

Never shot one but 6.5x55 really appeals to me but mainly as I love how it looks with a 160gr round nose. It does really come alive when you roll your own, as a factory round it's not that impressive ballistically.

Any of the 3 will do the job no qualms.

Hi for mainly Roe the 6.5 ,have owned all 3 all great cals ,6.5 is the best.120 grn will do all deer types in the uk.
Once zerod40 rounds do most people a long time.(lots of 6.5ammo in the south west,must be some in the north.)If you do alot of range work .308 is esay to come by.
Good luck and enjoy what ever you choose.

You're getting your first rifle. Probably not your last rifle. As has already been said, go with the calibre with best ammo availability (and selection) where you are.

For what it's worth, this will probably be .308. Works well with a nice short barrel too and doesn't do too much damage on Roe. :)

All will do the job so subject to ammo availability, buy the one that you're most comfortable handling and suits your style best. Only you can tell what that will be, just choose carefully. ATB

6.5x55 with 120 grain bullet would do just fine I home load for mine but ammo availability is quite good were I am I'm midlands

Right, apologies first as this topic has probably been done to death but....

just passed my DSC1 and about to apply for my FAC. Expect to be mainly shooting Roe but would also look for an opportunity at Reds or Sika at some point and don't really want more than one rifle.

So, "think" I have narrow this down to .270, .308 or 6.5X55

Am a wee bit nervous about the 6.5 x 55 about ammo supply.

have used a .223 (but not big enough for the flexibility I want) and .308 but neither of the other two calibers.

probably looking at a s/h rifle so that I can afford better optics

some basic pro's and cons of the 3 calibers would be appreciated.

Check with your usual retailer which round he usually stocks and in how many different types/Grains. Go for that one, because if his anything like most other RFD's he will not offer to get a round of your choice in stock specially for you.
I settled on a .308W, but my previous nearest retailer claimed that 'nobody shoots with a .308 in this area' (We're talking Cotswolds/Gloucestershire. Hmm.) so he has now lost my business, and I travel another 5Min to the next nearest retailer who does understand the principle of long-term sustainable customer development.

I settled on a .308 on the basis of world-wide availability, and it is all you'll ever need for every species in any UK scenario.

Hi Slider..

For the short while you only have the one rifle :D , make it a 308, and stick to 150gr/165gr ammo.. Great combo, the lighter stuff (123r Sako) do too much damage on smaller deer like Roe.. Great on hinds though. This is of cause only my humble opinion.
You can get 308 150gr/165gr almost anywhere..

You don't say what side of the boarder you are on but, if it's the North side you are good to go for a 22/250, 223 or 222 for your smaller deer and foxy..

That'll be when you get the itch for your inevitable second rifle. ;)

Good luck with your choice and enjoy it..

cjs

Last edited:
sorry to ask but whats the budget for rifle ,mounts ,and mod ! just as that will give others that may have one that meets your needs

great advise so far folks, have eliminated the 6.5 x 55 and am leaning to .308 but there seems to be a better choice of s/h .270's.

Will pop into nearest gun room (20 miles) this week to see what ammo they hold, but is it really such a big deal as, apart from zeroing, I can't see me using bucket loads. Would I be able to hold say 200?

Budget not really set in stone but kind of thinking of s/h rifle, decent scope and all the other bits £1500ish

Check with your usual retailer which round he usually stocks and in how many different types/Grains. Go for that one, because if his anything like most other RFD's he will not offer to get a round of your choice in stock specially for you.
I settled on a .308W, but my previous nearest retailer claimed that 'nobody shoots with a .308 in this area' (We're talking Cotswolds/Gloucestershire. Hmm.) so he has now lost my business, and I travel another 5Min to the next nearest retailer who does understand the principle of long-term sustainable customer development.

I settled on a .308 on the basis of world-wide availability, and it is all you'll ever need for every species in any UK scenario.

i have to say I'm very lucky in that Jeremy at Sussex Guns is the only RFD I know who hasn't ****ed off a supplier and can get hold of whatever I ask for. He ordered in a single box of Geco 170 grain in .308 for me to try after I said that's what I'd been told the rifle shot well with. He will even open up on a Sunday if I tell him I'll be there to buy something that I need. I have to drive past 3 other RFD's to get to him but he's the only place I go now after having complete nonsense spouted at me from the others. One of which refused to sell me some Federal powershoks in .243 80 grain as he thought they were unsuitable for deer!

NH sound like you have a breed of dealer from way back when every pound over the till matters , we had two old school boys in my neck of the woods but both have now passed on .

Back