Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round nose bullets???

Round nose bullets???

Well on picking up my new(to me) .270 yesterday I was given 80 rounds of Federal 150grn Round nose ammunition with it(looks like good pig medicine), having never used them before (always used 130grn pspbt) and got to thinking what's the difference, I know one's pointed and one's rounded, but what different applications are they used for? and if anyone local to me fancies some to try I'm up for a swap for some 130grn soft points.
    Cheers Jase.

At normal stalking distances (say up to 250 yards) you won't really notice any differences but past that and the spitzer being more aerodynamic (ballistically efficient) comes into its own. Give me a good old fashioned flat based round nosed bullet every day of the week for my style of shooting.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Hello jase, Good luck with the new rifle.
    I understand the round nose bullets do not penetrate in a straight line as opposed to flat and pointed bullets.
    These tests were carried out with heavy cal. rifles used on big game though.
    As 8x57 said, at ranges we shoot........jc

I ran some 100gr rn in .243 to good effect
    exactly the same poi at zero as the spitzer version of the same bullet

[QUOTE=Highlandsjohn;992279]Hello jase, Good luck with the new rifle.
    I understand the round nose bullets do not penetrate in a straight line as opposed to flat and pointed bullets.
    These tests were carried out with heavy cal. rifles used on big game though.
    As 8x57 said, at ranges we shoot........jc[/QUOTE

Huh?~Muir

These Sako Hammerheads aren't particularly spitzer shaped yet they seem to penetrate in a straight line.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Earlier this year I had cause to load the trusty .308 with something other than the usual Nosler 150gr BT due to late delivery of a 9.3x62 for use on pigs.

I found some boxes of Hornady 170gr Interlock FP (flat point) at a very reasonable price - probably due to them not being pointy and fashionable - and worked up a very accurate load that runs at circa 2500fps. Did the job on a pig and bowled it straight over, so thought I'd carry on using them on our local reds and roe, and boy do they put them down well - like being hit with the Hammer of Thor! - and make very little carcase damage.

Attachment 59045
    Agree with what others have said above - at typical UK stalking ranges, RN or FP are perfectly adequate, (and will probably cost less).

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    These Sako Hammerheads aren't particularly spitzer shaped yet they seem to penetrate in a straight line.
    These look very similar to the bullets loaded into the Federal RN.

I love RN bullets. The long bearing surface and flat base means they line up well in the lede and seal the rifling before the base exits the neck of the case, which contributes to very small deviation in muzzle velocity, when the loads are made up identically. They are not fussy loads; the same loads shoot well in a lot of rifles.

I have found the 150-gr .308 and .300 Savage to shoot very well, same for the 180-gr.
    The 180-gr .30-06 Federal and Remington shoot as well as anything for me.
    The 150-gr Federal and Remington RN .270 Win ammunition is very accurate and hits hard. The CoreLokt is a tough bullet, and does not blow up.

The relatively slow RN ammo for my 6.5x54 Mannlicher and my .257 Roberts kills way above their weight class.

I handload the Hornady 154-gr RN for my 7mm-08, 7x64mm, and now for my 7x57R.

All these shoot to the same place as the spitzers up to 200 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I love RN bullets. The long bearing surface and flat base means they line up well in the lede and seal the rifling before the base exits the neck of the case, which contributes to very small deviation in muzzle velocity, when the loads are made up identically. They are not fussy loads; the same loads shoot well in a lot of rifles.

I have found the 150-gr .308 and .300 Savage to shoot very well, same for the 180-gr.
    The 180-gr .30-06 Federal and Remington shoot as well as anything for me.
    The 150-gr Federal and Remington RN .270 Win ammunition is very accurate and hits hard. The CoreLokt is a tough bullet, and does not blow up.

The relatively slow RN ammo for my 6.5x54 Mannlicher and my .257 Roberts kills way above their weight class.

I handload the Hornady 154-gr RN for my 7mm-08, 7x64mm, and now for my 7x57R.

All these shoot to the same place as the spitzers up to 200 yards.
    Thanks for the info pal, all sounding positive, if my rifle likes them I'll be giving them a go