Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early morning buck.

Early morning buck.

Myself and Bandit Country found ourselves at first light at the normal meeting place. Got kit sorted and BC dropped me off and one end of the permission. BC was taking the lower ground.
    Made my way into the first field which makes its way uphill towards our boundary and a wild bird seed patch.
    First glass showed two fallow prickets out in the bird seed and then another 5 to the right of them.
    I wanted to get above them to the boundary so made my way right handed using the wind and got above then onto the plateau. The. They made their way into the cover and off into the wood. Roll on the first as they were all in good condition feeding on the wheat in the fields below.

Then a roe doe jumped the fence and into the cover. So I made my way to an oak tree where I could set up and see if her other half would appear. Got to the tree and sat down on a root, sticks and rifle not set up as I was making myself comfy. Looked left into the cover and a buck was making his way back to the wood towards me. Bugger!!!!
    I managed to get the rifle, no chance of getting the sticks!! He was now 20m away, head down, so managed to get rifle up. His head went up offering a front on neck shot freehand. The 30-06 did the rest. Always the same, when you're not quite ready the buggers appear.
    So gave him a while and checked him out. Great pre rut condition buck. Fat as a tick.
    A nice 6 pointer.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by 243varmint; 12-07-2015 at 19:15.

Any ideas on how to post pics direct from your iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post
    ......have you tried swearing at it and banging it on the edge of a table until it rattles?? After that I'm all out of ideas.....

Great result mate and a cracker of a buck. Catch up soon!
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Attachment 59067Attachment 59067
    Hi Jon,
    Hope you are well, you certainly seem to be busy as usual.
    I take it that you composed the thread through your IPhone, if so it should be the same process as a computer but using the phone instead. It seems to work without any problems for me.
    There you go mate just uploaded from the phone, it is a bit of a fag though as you cannot blow up the upload box which comes up and it is small.
    Last edited by vizslamad; 12-07-2015 at 14:29.

very nice ,my phones a pain it loads but it also puts every one on, i then have to delete everything i dont want on,!!
    DONT START

Nice one Jon, buck looks to be in good condition, any rutting signs with you yet. Shot a buck in D&G last week that was chasing the doe and first signs I've seen this year.
    Nice to read there's a few fallow showing also. Gaz

Myself and Bandit Country found ourselves at first light at the normal meeting place. Got kit sorted and BC dropped me off and one end of the permission. BC was taking the lower ground.
    Made my way into the first field which makes its way uphill towards our boundary and a wild bird seed patch.
    First glass showed two fallow prickets out in the bird seed and then another 5 to the right of them.
    I wanted to get above them to the boundary so made my way right handed using the wind and got above then onto the plateau. The. They made their way into the cover and off into the wood. Roll on the first as they were all in good condition feeding on the wheat in the fields below.

Then a roe doe jumped the fence and into the cover. So I made my way to an oak tree where I could set up and see if her other half would appear. Got to the tree and sat down on a root, sticks and rifle not set up as I was making myself comfy. Looked left into the cover and a buck was making his way back to the wood towards me. Bugger!!!!
    I managed to get the rifle, no chance of getting the sticks!! He was now 20m away, head down, so managed to get rifle up. His head went up offering a front on neck shot freehand. The 30-06 did the rest. Always the same, when you're not quite ready the buggers appear.
    So gave him a while and checked him out. Great pre rut condition buck. Fat as a tick.
    A nice 6 pointer.

Got there in the end then Jon. That is a very nice buck, you certainly are having greater success than me, out six times now plenty of does about but only seen 1 buck and couldn't get anywhere near him but up to Wigtown in a few weeks. Perhaps perhaps perhaps.

Good luck John

Catch up at some point. Maybe another social your way ??

ATB
    Jon