Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy first rifle advice needed

Looking to buy first rifle advice needed

Hi just got my fac and sgc in the past few weeks and looking to buy my first rifle I'm thinking of buying a howa 1500 deal you get just now but I will be passing on the nikco Stirling scope it comes with and getting better glass for it but eve thing eyes ypu get with the deal is bang on ! Do any of yous use this rifle and how is it and to see if you have any insight to a howa 1500 would be great thanks again Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matmull1985 View Post
    Hi just got my fac and sgc in the past few weeks and looking to buy my first rifle I'm thinking of buying a howa 1500 deal you get just now but I will be passing on the nikco Stirling scope it comes with and getting better glass for it but eve thing eyes ypu get with the deal is bang on ! Do any of yous use this rifle and how is it and to see if you have any insight to a howa 1500 would be great thanks again Matt
    You can rest assured on the Howa, top quality rifles.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

The tikka T3 is hard to beat for a budget gun.

Howas are a good rifle. It all depends what your intended use is

It's for stalking mate I have a grant for a 243!

for purely stalking I would look for something second hand you would be surprised at some of the bargains out there,

Good rifles no doubt. However the Hogue stock they come with flexes a small amount and in some cases this can seriously throw off accuracy. Me mate had it and had to pretty radically alter the stock.

So the options regards Howa are either get one with a different stock or get a weatherby vanguard which comes with a better stock as standard. Both of these options will set you back more mind.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

2p worth,
    best you can find for the you have look at the adds and get the hands on at the shops don't rush in to the first shiny rifle you read about I know you are gaging but look twice buy once

Go to a gunshop and try a few rifles for fit. See which one you like the look/feel/smell of. Make a note, check prices and buy that rifle. Whatever people tell you, you can not buy a new rifle in the UK which will not shoot adequately for deer stalking. In fact unless you go silly, even most second hand guns are adequate. Stalking has two vital components a) stalker/marksman and b) rifle/tool. Most if not all issues of poor performance lie with a). Rifle selection is personal preference/marketing/the "I'm wearing a Boss polo" factor and would not shoot a Remington even if I ran out of Pacco Rabanne

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    2p worth,
    best you can find for the you have look at the adds and get the hands on at the shops don't rush in to the first shiny rifle you read about I know you are gaging but look twice buy once
    Totally agree with this-Howa's are a great rifle but for your budget you may find a s/h Sako 75/Tikka 595 which imho would be a better buy.