Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 brass

.223 brass

hey everyone I'm in need of some help.
    I'm loading .223 75gr a max for use in my 1-8 tikka t3
    its going to be my target load for 500-600.

my current load as its best ES.
    75gr a max
    ppu brass
    n135 21.4gr
    ogive 20thou off lands 1.890
    case trim to 1.750
    full length sized
    uniformed primers and flash hole.
    rem 7 1/2 primers
    Vel 2639
    ES 10

im thinking of trying different primers like cci br4
    also maybe change of brass to lapua.

Thanks
    gibbo

Is that extreme spread of 10 inches or ten feet then Gibbo?

Crikey mate aren't you happy enough with the results that you are getting as regards extreme spread. You may be getting a low extreme spread but what does it actually shoot like. What are the results like downrange?

I take it that what you are asking but forgot to actually ask a question is; would a change of primers or cases be of any benefit?
    Why not just give it a go and find out, a box of primers to try don't cost a lot. Not an a lot wrong with PPU cases either. Lapua are good I use them myself in .308w but their reputation is a bit overrated really as many other cases will also give good results.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Yes I meant my extreme spread is only 10fps and groups at .349" at 100. But I'm wanting to shoot out to 1000 at fclass. Until I can save for a dolphin custom f class. The ES is important out at 5-600 for consistent drop. I'm trying to get it down below 5.
    The only things I can think of changing are primers and brass.
    ive only been loading for 6 months and am enjoying it, but I want to get as close to perfect as I can.
    Im thinking cci br4 would be a place to start, then run them again.
    Then poss a brass change.

You could try grouping your cases by weight and see if it makes any difference.

I neck turned (just for something to do) some well used FC brass I have and it did make the groups better.

I've just been looking at neck tension think that could also be a factor.

I'm sorry, but I don't 'get it'

Neck tension a factor, in what ???

An es of 10fps using non match prepped brass, non sorted bullets, in a factory rifle, is bloody good !!!!!

What exactly are you trying to achieve ?

Es of >5fps ?

Buy the very best brass you can, sort by weight, which will leave you about 25/100 'good' ones, then measure the fluid capacity of each and batch them, that'll leave you about 20, then trim all to length,

Then weigh your powder charges to the nearest kernel,

Then batch the bullets, first by weight, then bearing surface length, then total length, this might give you 20/100 to load into those prepped cases, then seat them using the latest and bestest micrometer seater die, and, with a lot of luck, it might improve.

If you aren't planning on beating the world benchrest 1000yard record, you really aren't going to see any benefits from trying to improve that load imo

Just my 2p worth

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

I'm just wanting to get the best I can that's all. I'm new to shooting targets and I'd just like to be competitive.
    Would you guys think just go with the batch I've made.
    Or as said batch brass, bullets etc I'm just trying to learn or take tips etc
    thanks
    gibbo

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo1987 View Post
    I'm just wanting to get the best I can that's all. I'm new to shooting targets and I'd just like to be competitive.
    Would you guys think just go with the batch I've made.
    Or as said batch brass, bullets etc I'm just trying to learn or take tips etc
    thanks
    gibbo
    Personally, and coming from a long range (mile plus) shooter, I'd leave as is, and just put plenty down range learning your drops and how to read the wind, drops are easy, reading wind is the make or break.

You have a good load, stick to it, don't be tempted to fiddle, and just enjoy it.

Regards

Pete

Home | Varminting UK
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    Personally, and coming from a long range (mile plus) shooter, I'd leave as is, and just put plenty down range learning your drops and how to read the wind, drops are easy, reading wind is the make or break.

You have a good load, stick to it, don't be tempted to fiddle, and just enjoy it.

Regards

Pete

Home | Varminting UK
    What he said; how does it shoot?
    Easy to get lost in academia and a few fps in ES will become a moot point with any sort of wind.
    I'd still be inclined to go to the Lapua brass purely for consistency, I got split necks on the PPU after a few firings.

What sort of sample size are you taking? Is that 5 shots with an ES of 10 and a five shot group at .349" or maybe 20 shots with an ES of 10 and 4 x 5 shot groups with an average of .349?

An ES of single figures over a reasonable sample is excellent - usually only achieved with top grade components, weight sorted and carefully prepared. Likewise, several consecutive 5 shot groups in the .3's is also extremely good, especially in a factory rifle, you will have a job to improve on that.

Personally if I was trying to screw the last drop of accuracy I would buy new Lapua brass, try better bullets and experiment with seating depth a little but it's important to keep track of what results you are getting, a five shot group of .29 doesn't look much different from a .31 group.

If you look here you will see that .35 would have won the benchrest sporter class with ease:
    http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic.../?hl=benchrest