Thread: Omaha / Nebraska

Omaha / Nebraska

Not sure where to post this so here goes. I have the opportunity to go to Nebraska / Omaha in Sept Oct. I haven't a clue about where I might be going but all I know it is on private land. Of course I need to find out more as I only found out this eve but my questions are. I shoot a 30-06 Ackley so what do I need to know/ do in order to take that calibre to the states?...forms for the airlines .... Also am I able to take my own loads in AI to the states? .....

Am I allowed to take my sound moderator too?

Regarding the hunting being on private land is that governed by any rules as such, ie tags etc?

Finally what species are in that area?

Many thanks

Pete
    Last edited by chickenman; 12-07-2015 at 21:38.

Airlines will tell you what you need to know re their forms.

You'll need docs from the US Authorities

You're moderator will probably be more trouble than it is worth

For seasons and species try: Hunting Portal Page - NGPC

ATB,

Scrummy
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

I am looking at similar issues as I am going to Pennsylvania this December.

I going to make some assumptions:

You are a Brit'
    You will be travelling on a visa or ESTA
    you've already looked up the game commission website

you need to complete a temporary firearms import form 6NIA

https://www.atf.gov/file/61581/download

You can import home loads. I rang the help number on the form and asked, I was told that it was fine so long as I specified that I was the manufacturer of the ammunition.

As long as you qualify for a visa or ESTA you don't specifically need a hunting license to qualify for the 6NIA, although the very helpful person I spoke to said that if you did get one it would help the application go through. I've bought a PA one, as I want to hunt on public land. As I said, check what the rules in Nebraska are.

Forget about the moderator. The position in the U.S. is not consistent, and even if Nebraska allows their use, unless you are a U.S. citizen, I don't think you can even qualify to pay the one-off Federal tax ($200 I think) required to posses one. I won't be trying to bring mine!

The other issues I don't know about yet, I'm going for December so I've a little time to figure out the rest...

Hope that much is helpful anyhow,

Guy

Thanks for the replies so far gents... you have to chuckle that a sound mod is a concern in a place where just about anyone can but a pistol or lord knows what other gun with ease ....I think I will leave my mod at home for sure and take my ear plugs ))

Bringing an unregistered moderator (and by registration I mean, US manufactured, with serial # and BATFE tax stamp) would make you an instant felon. You would hopefully get immediately deported, if not, you would learn about "that sort of love that is not talked about"!

In the US, private or public ground makes no difference (for the most part). The state sets that seasons, limits, and tag/license requirements on all non-migratory game. Running around in the US with a rifle is actually far less difficult than it would be in the UK. In many states, especially the western and southern states, you can carry the rifle uncased in the vehicle as long as it remains unloaded. That I am aware of, there are no storage requirements like you have to deal with in the UK.

On the other hand - you might inquire about the availability of a loaner rifle to safe yourself the airline hassle. I would hazard to say that anyone in the US that is a serious hunter has many many firearms. I personally have hosted multiple guests at one time and been able to put a firearm in everyones hand.

In Sept/Oct you will definitely have some upland birds in season, but you might be a bit early for big game. Often we open the archery season first, then a blackpowder season, and then the regular rifle season falls in later Oct to Nov. Try this page for info straight from the Nebraska Game and Fish Commission Hunting Portal Page - NGPC

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    On the other hand - you might inquire about the availability of a loaner rifle to safe yourself the airline hassle. I would hazard to say that anyone in the US that is a serious hunter has many many firearms. I personally have hosted multiple guests at one time and been able to put a firearm in everyones hand.
    Coots has given the best advice, first time i went no problem, second time nightmare at Heathrow!
    When my friends in Montana found out (i posted on a US forum when in transit) by the time i landed in Montana i had offers from friends and people i had never met offering to loan me a rifle for 2 weeks.

If you decide to take your rifle print off all communications and regs of your chosen airline, TSA and BATF and you SHOULD be ok.

As for tags and licences check out each states regs.
    http://www.omaha.com/outdoors/
    Home Page - Nebraska Game and Parks Commission

Cheers

Richard
    Last edited by devon deer stalker; 13-07-2015 at 09:20.

Have fond memories of a night in a big pub with line dancing in Omaha

I flew into Atlanta a couple of years ago with Delta. Lockable hard case with the ammunition in with the rifle, ATF temporary import license, valid large-game permit (for my Georgia trip anyway) and a few minutes of scary TSA checking with two guys who looked as though they'd love any opportunity to put in a hole in me. Plus a seriously scary dame at Border Control, lol. In truth though, it was a lot less hassle than I'd imagined it would be
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    I flew into Atlanta a couple of years ago with Delta. Lockable hard case with the ammunition in with the rifle,
    Do that now and you will open up a whole world of pain with Delta and security at Heathrow.
    Cheers
    Richard

So you will have to add a second bag to your baggage just for carrying the ammo in a seperate case ($100 goodbye each way unless all used up then empty cases do not count so have a throwaway case for the trip to the US and leave it in a dumpster).
    Martin