Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle brake advice

Muzzle brake advice

Guys apologies but need some more advice again, I've decide I can't be arsed with a moderator now. They def unbalance a nice gun and although they have some benefits I probably will only ever be shooting the one shot hopefully and not needing to cull as some do.......So to tame the 30-06 finnlight on the range more than anything as I'll be going down shortly to stick maybe a 100 rounds thru I've decided to go for a muzzle brake.,..thats where I need the advice ...The gun is screw cut already, do they just screw on like mods?...also what sort of price should they be? and any suggestions of which one to go for or who makes a decent one?....thanks as always for the font of knowledge on here.

Nick, Not sure where you are based, but http://www.rgrifles.com/page8/page15/page15.html does muzzle brakes and I can recommend Russell Gall. Regards JCS

Buy some good ear defenders at the same time !

Brianm

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Nick, Not sure where you are based, but http://www.rgrifles.com/page8/page15/page15.html does muzzle brakes and I can recommend Russell Gall. Regards JCS
    Thanks for the thought, much appreciated, bUt i'm in Devon so might have to find a closer one

Campbell Scott the gunsmith from Bearsden makes them not sure what he charges,but I agree with Brianm get a good set off ear defenders as I used to have a browning
    .270 which had the boss system which incorporated a muzzle break and it used to deafen me when I used it

deerhunter270

I am sure muzzle breaks have their place, but it is not in the next lane to me at a range. I had the dubious honour of being in the next lane to a guy shooting a 30-06 with one on Bl**dy thing

ft

Edit, Just found this on Chuck Hawks;

"For a hunter in the field, shooting without ear protection, the muzzle blast from a muzzle brake is immediately deafening. Nearly complete temporary deafness usually lasts from about a minute to several minutes after firing a powerful magnum rifle equipped with a muzzle brake. Later almost all of the shooter's hearing returns, but a certain amount is permanently lost, and the losses are cumulative.
    This is why hunting rifles equipped with muzzle brakes are illegal in some African jurisdictions. They have proven damaging to the unprotected hearing of the scouts and guides accompanying the hunter. In North America an increasing number of big game guides now refuse to let a sport use a rifle equipped with a muzzle brake for the same reason."
    Last edited by flytie; 17-04-2010 at 20:53.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Muzzle brakes either screw on or are clamp fit (with screw)

You have a choice of either oversize or flush fitting.

Oversize would require no gunsmithing work, flush fitting are just that - machined to fit your barrel.

Be careful what you buy - some brakes have longitudanal ports which, if you machine the brake down to fit the OD of the barrel will not machine down to the right size without cutting into the longitudanal ports.

Ive done a few rifles with brakes, here are a few examples to show what ive posted in the text (I am not touting for work by the way):

Brake with longitudanal ports (30 cal)

Same brake side view - it was left this diameter.

My own stalking rifle with non longitudanal ported brake (very effective one this)

Tank style (clamp) brake from my 338LM (very effective but not "aesthetically pleasing")

Same brake fitted to the 338 (rifle in foreground)

Hope this helps your choice
    Last edited by Ronin; 17-04-2010 at 21:23.

[QUOTE=Redmist;94507]Muzzle brakes either screw on or are clamp fit (with screw)

You have a choice of either oversize or flush fitting.

Oversize would require no gunsmithing work, flush fitting are just that - machined to fit your barrel.

Be careful what you buy - some brakes have longitudanal ports which, if you machine the brake down to fit the OD of the barrel will not machine down to the right size without cutting into the longitudanal ports.

Ive done a few rifles with brakes, here are a few examples to show what ive posted in the text (I am not touting for work by the way):

Hi Redmist
    would it be possible to call you for some advice and info, if so could you pm me your number and good time to call, cheers
    Nick

Another option is to have i machined in the barrel itself like BSA used to do like this:-

A BESA recoil Reducer.

Despite the hole size at the muzzle that's actually a .243.

Mag-na-port works on a similar principle as I understand it. Some brakes are specifically designed to reduce muzzle flip as well and not just reduce the rearwards pulse of the recoil and some don't have any downwards facing ports so as not to blow up a cloud of debris when shot from prone or a Bi-Pod.

I will ahve to say I don't like brakes much, at the club there is a little "Cliche" with tacticool type rifles with brakes and they're a right royal PITA Funny thign is when a caught a couple of them durign test firing this .243 they don't seem to be that keen no more. When shooting near brakes ear plugs AND Muffs are advised

Red, sorry to move sideways off topic a little but, the guy's in the pic of the range, one wearing a blue coat, is it just a wierd camera effect or are they forward of the line?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!