Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hero or Coward

Hero or Coward

i know this is an unusual question but in the times of ISIS and the like of a heighten state of security i think its a valid question.

i know this is a very unlikely event and terrorist are not carrying AK's round every corner.

what i would like to know is:-

what would happen legally to you if said terrorist was walking down the road shooting people,you where in the position to shoot him(you are at the corner shop with your .270 in the car), should you hide/run or take the shot.(there is no doubt that the person you would be aiming at is a terrorist like the situation in Tunis)

how would you make your self know to the police so you don't get shot or how to lend your assistance with out getting in the way.

The reason i ask is its probably not a good idea to ring firearms up asking question like this and this is the most level headed place i can pose the question.

Would it be the right thing to do?, in the total absence of immediate "Official help", Yes, but I wouldn't be expecting to further my stalking career much beyond the dust settling, but hey peoples lives are being lost, as to "Coward" not really the right description for me, the fight or flight reaction is different in everyone, your own life can mean a great deal, "Hero" again the wrong description in my mind, just the right thing to do in your imagined incident.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Recently a police firearms chap was finally exonerated from a 10 yearlong case after he'd shot someone during an interception of an armed gang.

ten years before that was cleared up so don't expect less....
    whether or not you were doing 'the right thing'

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Would it be the right thing to do?, in the total absence of immediate "Official help", Yes, but I wouldn't be expecting to further my stalking career much beyond the dust settling, but hey peoples lives are being lost, as to "Coward" not really the right description for me, the fight or flight reaction is different in everyone, your own life can mean a great deal, "Hero" again the wrong description in my mind, just the right thing to do in your imagined incident.
    +1, it would all depend on the situation you are in there and then, would you shoot to wound or shoot to kill.

Happily a very unlikely situation but...
    if you had rifle and ammunition to hand and
    If a mass shooting was taking place
    Why would you not shoot to save lives? (Is your "future stalking career" really more important than saving someone's life?)

Afterwards
    "What would you prefer me to have done, your honour?"
    "Hunter saves dozens!" (Daily Bilge)
    "We know where you live" (IS)

If armed police were present the above would presumably not be necessary and your intervention would be counter-productive.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

NUmerous things in law to cover this noteably Sec 3 of the Criminal law Act, Comon law and Article 2 of the European Court Human Rights (you can look them up to understand them better) and I think in the circumstanes outlined by the OP you would be covered, I would suggest holding onto you right to "not say anything" and wait for some legal advice just to make sure you articulate why you acted in the manner you did to save phrasing something wrong and getting in unnecessary trouble.

The only thing that would concern me would be getting shot by the police or tackled by another member of public who mistook me for a terrorist etc.

Fine with a a 270. Sticky ground if a 243.

My advice is don’t be the one to realise your imagined scenario as you’ve brought premeditation into the frame.

I find it interesting that you appear to acknowledge the unhelpful consequences of asking the Home Office for guidance in such a situation but consider floating the same question on an open forum to be without risk.

My view is that only in the heat of such a scenario will the individual know what he/she is going to do.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    My advice is don’t be the one to realise your imagined scenario as you’ve brought premeditation into the frame.

I find it interesting that you appear to acknowledge the unhelpful consequences of asking the Home Office for guidance in such a situation but consider floating the same question on an open forum to be without risk.

My view is that only in the heat of such a scenario will the individual know what he/she is going to do.

K
    Nicely put Sir.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I wouldnt see this being an issue. You i this situation would be excersicing your inherant right to self defence. Shooting to wound wodnt realy be an option. Shooting centre of the visible masd would be the only safe choice.

Quote Originally Posted by topscots1 View Post
    Shooting to wound wodnt realy be an option
    Not with a .270
    Last edited by Woodsmoke; 13-07-2015 at 07:55.
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care