Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What caused this damage?

Regular Poster

What caused this damage?

A little birch and a willow had been stripped of bark up to about a foot from the ground, causing them to die. Is this likely to be rabbits or deer?

Probably deer, looks like a Roe Buck has been thrashing it.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Regular Poster
    Better get out there with a gun then...

if its a roe buck, and it prolly is you'll, find sometimes there a triangle scrape just next to the tree

Hope you don't mind but rather than start my own thread I have a similar question after seeing this on my perm where the grass has also been scrubbed up?

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Hope you don't mind but rather than start my own thread I have a similar question after seeing this on my perm where the grass has also been scrubbed up?

Stratts

Difficult to say with certainty, but it looks like Sika. Bole scoring and scrapping similar to this is usually Sika, and going by the cuts in the lower trunk it has to have a reasonable bit of weight behind it.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Probably deer, looks like a Roe Buck has been thrashing it.
    +1.

Definitely deer, but difficult to tell which without scale. Muntjac tend to strip mainly one side and only low down and up to about 18 inches. Roe will trash the whole stem from about 12 inches up to about 3 foot which is what that looks more like. Could even be a bit of both?
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post

Stratts
    That's where I sat last night mate thought summin was digging in my back
    norma