Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The importance of observation after the shot

The importance of observation after the shot

All the munties I have shot to date have dropped to the shot and been pretty much dead as they hit the floor, but last night was the 1st time I felt I needed a follow up shot to be certain.

I had a young doe moving towards me straight on so had to keep adjusting my position and when she finally moved side on I gave a shout to halt her, but rushed the shot a tad. She dropped straight down but I thought it was not quite perfectly placed, reloaded and waited to make sure. I noted a leg still moving slightly, wasn't sure if it was movement from the nerves and moments later she did a flip like a fish out of water. I moved slightly closer which enabled me to see her head clearly laying on the floor and I was able to take a clean head shot to be sure.

On inspection the shot was only marginally off which had missed the heart and taken out a lung so she would have expired soon enough but I was pleased with the way I dealt with her just in case!

It's quite unusual for me to be able to offer advice but to any new or novice stalkers like me (or old timers too I guess), please make sure you take your time to observe the deer you have just shot before moving in, even if it has dropped on the spot as it may not be quite as dead as you think!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Well done, better to take a second shot (as long as it is still safe) any time you are in any doubt.

Good call
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

I was always taught to re load, wait and watch after shooting a beast. Maybe an old fashioned practice but it has served me well.

well done feller,
    I remember many years ago I was fallow culling on land north Essex at around 70 yrds I shot a large old girl with then my .243 100g pro-hunters she dropped and I thought all was good we done the well done happy happy thing ! only to see her stand up bolt upright ? I shot her once again in the back of her head and yes i had a back stop before I get jumped on ! and she was down for good ,the upshot was I had smashed the hart but she was running on will power and dead on her feet her insides were of no use as the bullet had done its job , so in my case lesson learnt I don't leave the scope I reload and follow and wait this was my kick in the rear end watch and wait as **** happens and will again, well done again Mark

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I was always taught to re load, wait and watch after shooting a beast. Maybe an old fashioned practice but it has served me well.
    Still the same mate that's what they teach on the DSC1 course and why I do just that!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Over the years I have had a few deer drop to the shot, only to be still alive, when I have walked up to them and indeed have had a couple get up up and move off. All have been shot through the boiler room, but not necessarily through heart / major arteries. My mistake has been getting up and moving forward too quickly. Best practice says ten to 15 minutes, but that can seem an age after a shot. A good reason for staying put is chances are you are in a very stable position and thus much easier to take an accurate follow up shot if needs be.

This is the most important part of the follow up, staying put long enough for the deer to expire and not run on or to couch up, not everyone sees the reaction and the deer dissapears into cover, BP is being rewritten with a better follow up that does work for best recovery of deer or a really good chance of getting the beast after a follow up.
    after waiting and the beast goes off always go to the shot site and determine where the animal is hit this again helps no end rather than going in and finding a deer leap up from cover and not stop till into the next county. It is hard to wait and many do not resulting in a huge suprise, I am glad it didnt have too much life left in it and shooting more beasts you soon learn quickly, Also good to highlight for new stalkers atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

The old ways still apply

After the shot

Smoke a cigarette or, if you don`t smoke wait 10 mins then follow up, allows the animal time to expire

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    All the munties I have shot to date have dropped to the shot and been pretty much dead as they hit the floor, but last night was the 1st time I felt I needed a follow up shot to be certain.

I had a young doe moving towards me straight on so had to keep adjusting my position and when she finally moved side on I gave a shout to halt her, but rushed the shot a tad. She dropped straight down but I thought it was not quite perfectly placed, reloaded and waited to make sure. I noted a leg still moving slightly, wasn't sure if it was movement from the nerves and moments later she did a flip like a fish out of water. I moved slightly closer which enabled me to see her head clearly laying on the floor and I was able to take a clean head shot to be sure.

On inspection the shot was only marginally off which had missed the heart and taken out a lung so she would have expired soon enough but I was pleased with the way I dealt with her just in case!

It's quite unusual for me to be able to offer advice but to any new or novice stalkers like me (or old timers too I guess), please make sure you take your time to observe the deer you have just shot before moving in, even if it has dropped on the spot as it may not be quite as dead as you think!

Stratts
    good strong call that one stratts and with all the experience in the world this can happen. I read this as thought you were looking over my shoulder last Thursday as this happened to me on a close 40yrd shot. I was curtain I had done my bit on placement but questioned was I right? then I viewed the reaction, I counted the seconds before I saw the 'fish flap' and nearly squeezed the trigger again but didn't. On inspection I was spot on with the placement but the exit wound was as nearly as neat as the strike, the gralloch proved also correct placement. I'm happy with what happened but appreciate that experience or less experience may have done something different right or wrong but there's no wrong on how you end life other than humanly.
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard