Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFD losing certificate whilst in possession of FAC holders firearms

RFD losing certificate whilst in possession of FAC holders firearms

I've just had a visit from my FEO for my renewal, and have found out something a little worrying.

Before I moved to Scotland, I purchased a rifle, to be sent to an RFD in Scotland who was recommended to me by the person I was buying the house from.

Rifle was duly shipped and I have an email stating it was received by the RFD.

For various reasons, it's been a while since I moved, and I've not had a chance to get a variation, so I believed the rifle still to be in the care of the RFD.

Having spoken to the FEO today, and told him that the additional rifle I've asked to be added to my FAC is already at a local RFD ready to be collected, he asked which RFD, and when I told him he told me that the RFD has had his licence suspended and therefore he is no longer in possession of that rifle. Apparently his entire stock has been sent to another dealer for safe keeping.

Now, I only have an email from the RFD, which doesn't state serial number or any other details. I know that the rifle was entered in to the register by the RFD that received it. What I'm wondering is where I'll stand once I get my FAC back with a slot for the rifle? How would I go about finding out where it was? How would I go about proving that I owned it, as it wasn't entered on my FAC?

A little concerned about this. I can't be the only person who will be in this situation either.

Any advice?

Your original bill of sale/ receipt from the seller plus the entry in the forwarding RFD's register.

pm what rfd please as I have a shotgun in, may be a coincidence but I heard a rumor our local guy was in a spot of bother

Paul, I've pm'd you. Hope it's not the same guy, though given your location I wouldn't say he's local to you.

Matt, if you have paid for the rifle in full you could be in a bit of bother mate, as you now own a rifle you do not have the authority to acquire, even though it is not in your possession.

Ian.

Ian, I looked in to this before buying. There's a difference between ownership and possession. It is perfectly lawful to own a weapon without an FAC, as long as you don't actually have access to it.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Ian, I looked in to this before buying. There's a difference between ownership and possession. It is perfectly lawful to own a weapon without an FAC, as long as you don't actually have access to it.

Wouldn't fly in Cheshire.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Matt I would think that it is a relatively easy matter to resolve so long as both RFDs are co-operative. Once you have the necessary variation on your FAC to possess the desired rifle, you should contact the RFD whose certificate has been revoked and request he confirms your ownership of the rifle and authorises release to you.

Of course if either one or both of the RFD's won't play ball then it could get a fair bit more complicated as finnbear has already alluded, but it shouldn't come to that if you are dealing with honourable people.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Go and talk to the RFD in question!! it would be my first choice! i honestly dont think you would have a problem, if another RFD has the rifle in his possession the paperwork trail will prove your case,

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    I've just had a visit from my FEO for my renewal, and have found out something a little worrying.

Before I moved to Scotland, I purchased a rifle, to be sent to an RFD in Scotland who was recommended to me by the person I was buying the house from.

Rifle was duly shipped and I have an email stating it was received by the RFD.

For various reasons, it's been a while since I moved, and I've not had a chance to get a variation, so I believed the rifle still to be in the care of the RFD.

Having spoken to the FEO today, and told him that the additional rifle I've asked to be added to my FAC is already at a local RFD ready to be collected, he asked which RFD, and when I told him he told me that the RFD has had his licence suspended and therefore he is no longer in possession of that rifle. Apparently his entire stock has been sent to another dealer for safe keeping.

Now, I only have an email from the RFD, which doesn't state serial number or any other details. I know that the rifle was entered in to the register by the RFD that received it. What I'm wondering is where I'll stand once I get my FAC back with a slot for the rifle? How would I go about finding out where it was? How would I go about proving that I owned it, as it wasn't entered on my FAC?

A little concerned about this. I can't be the only person who will be in this situation either.

Any advice?

SD Regular
    I think that, unless you have a vacant variation on your FAC for a rifle of that calibre, that it isn't. There were notable prosecutions in the 1980s for commercial pistol clubs selling pistols to members (the pistols remaining on the premises) that had neither FAC nor a variation on a FAC authorising acquisition.

Shot guns, if you have a SGC, can be said to be allowed to be treated differently in that if you have a SGC you are authorised to acquire without need for a variation authorising such.

I once left a shot gun for repair with a gunsmith in Birmingham who then died! It took two years before I got it back. Which was done by the police and his executor entering, with me, his workshop. Fortunately being a proper old school gunsmith my shot gun, although all in bits, was in a tupperware container. As were many others but again all in separate tupperware containers. And the woodwork all laid out in rows on his bench with the barrels all in another place. Fortunately I quickly recognised which woodwork, barrels, and leather case were mine from everybody else's!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 17-07-2015 at 21:37.