Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cartridge not chambering

cartridge not chambering

Hi all
    Can you give me reasons why a cartridge of the same calibre won't chamber in another rifle that has been prepped by me and my dies.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Hi all
    Can you give me reasons why a cartridge of the same calibre won't chamber in another rifle that has been prepped by me and my dies.
    The main reason is the expansion of the web area just in front of the extraction groove, this area is not sizesd by full-length sizing dies because of the radius on the entry to the die and the thickness top of the shell holder.
    The web area of the case is not usually fully supported by the chamber, especially on rifles that have a recessed bolt face like Rem 700s and thus exoands a couple of thou more then the rest of the case.
    This is a very common occurance when trying to chamber sized brass that was initially fired in a different rifle.

Ian.

always start off with fresh brass in a new/second hand rifle unless the brass comes with it fired in the chamber not worth all the arse ache if it goes wrong.
    Hi all

Quote Originally Posted by garyw View Post
    always start off with fresh brass in a new/second hand rifle unless the brass comes with it fired in the chamber not worth all the arse ache if it goes wrong.
    Spot on Gary,
    many new reloaders fall foul of this phenomena thinking they have just picked up the bargain of the century once fired brass only to find most of it is useless.

ian.

My other mate is out with me tonite who has my old 243 tikka 595.if this ammo doesn't load in his what you are saying whitebeard it right.the rifle that won't chamber is also a tikka sporter 595.it done my head right in.another fing is the oal of cartridge would get shorter when I closed the bolt and open and shut a few times without ejecting the cartridge.

My other mate is out with me tonite who has my old 243 tikka 595.if this ammo doesn't load in his what you are saying whitebeard it right.the rifle that won't chamber is also a tikka sporter 595.it done my head right in.another fing is the oal of cartridge would get shorter when I closed the bolt and open and shut a few times without ejecting the cartridge.
    Sounds like the bullet is touching the lands in the barrel then - is it seated far out? I've twice bought once-fired brass for my rifle and it chambers perfectly - so much so that I only need to collet neck size it.

another fing is the oal of cartridge would get shorter when I closed the bolt and open and shut a few times without ejecting the cartridge.
    Then you are loading too long, bullet is engaging the rifling which is pushing the bullet back into the case.
    You need to stop now and find out what is wrong!

Neil.

Hi all
    I think you've answered your own question. You've prepared these to suit your own rifle in some way?

I've used nothing but once-fired from countless makes of rifle in every calibre I've ever had.

Full-length sizing die right down to the shellholder (no cam over BTW) has always produced easy chambering for me, no matter the brand of die. PPU can sometimes be a little sticky.

After that I'm neck-sizing until it's time to FLRSZ once more.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    Sounds like the bullet is touching the lands in the barrel then - is it seated far out? I've twice bought once-fired brass for my rifle and it chambers perfectly - so much so that I only need to collet neck size it.
    sat it back n back.no diff.not touching rifling.cases are trimmed to 2.039 with the Lee cutter and 243 pilot I've always used as is the ribs fl die I've always had.even tried a Lee fl die.same.really tight to chamber.one thing seemed to work.cases shorter than 2.035.one of the 75gr v max loads he had from a couple of years ago chambers at 2.041 case length though

SWARO DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOUR DONT USE BRASS FROM ANOTHER RIFLE!
    and dont try and shoot it whats better you badly injured or spending 40-50 on some new brass.we are trying to help you here.
    sat it back n back.no diff.not touching rifling.cases are trimmed to 2.039 with the Lee cutter and 243 pilot I've always used as is the ribs fl die I've always had.even tried a Lee fl die.same.really tight to chamber.one thing seemed to work.cases shorter than 2.035.one of the 75gr v max loads he had from a couple of years ago chambers at 2.041 case length though