Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: a technical, legal question re English and Scottish law...

a technical, legal question re English and Scottish law...

hi,

i'd be grateful for some views on a hypothetical legal question regarding the respective laws on each side of the border between England and Scotland.

Scotland and England have different laws regarding what rifle/ammunition are required to shoot different species of deer - in effect, the requirements are lower in England than in Scotland. so, if i'm 50 yards inside England and shooting at a deer 50 yards inside Scotland (on the same property), which law do i have to obey, and if i shot a deer inside Scotland, but from England, and my rifle/bullet was legal in England but not so in Scotland, at which point would an offence be commited?

again, this is a hypothetical, so be as expansive as you like!

thanks.

My guess would be that the law in force would be the law of the land where the deer is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    My guess would be that the law in force would be the law of the land where the deer is.
    Agreed, as you'd just be shooting a rifle in england but shooting a deer in Scotland.

Best ring Nicola Sturgeon and ask her which law you should adhere to

I would expect it to be the law of the land the deer was shot on irrespective of the fact the bullet crossed the border provided you had legal permission on both sides of the border.

Dave

You will need a minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds when the round leaves the rifle in England, and 1,750 foot pounds when it hits the deer in Scotland.

English law will apply in England, Scottish law in Scotland, I shouldnt wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothunter View Post
    You will need a minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds when the round leaves the rifle in England, and 1,750 foot pounds when it hits the deer in Scotland.

English law will apply in England, Scottish law in Scotland, I shouldnt wonder.
    Not strictly true as all velocities and energies are calculated at the muzzle for legal reasons otherwise there would be distance limits on what you could shoot. A .243 making Just the legal 1700 ft/lbs in England would then be illegal about on anything more than about 40m away!

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Not strictly true as all velocities and energies are calculated at the muzzle for legal reasons otherwise there would be distance limits on what you could shoot. A .243 making Just the legal 1700 ft/lbs in England would then be illegal about on anything more than about 40m away!
    Yes, the first bit was a joke, to illustrate the second bit which I suspect may actually be the case, law being by no means always practical across jurisdictions.

M bad, I'd just got in from work and wasn't on the ball. I do enjoy the hypothetical legal questions.

I fear it may have been my bad: somewhere between an overly straight face and an unfunny joke.