Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Target ideas please?

Target ideas please?

I am lucky enough to have been invited out to a safe piece of ground where we can shoot targets out to around 300 metres. Sounds like fun!
    i have .243 and .308 stalking rifles with 7x and 9x magnification scopes respectively. The question is: What type and size of target would be appropriate out to this distance with these calibers and those magnification scopes? And, maybe, the best place to buy such a target?
    Hope to get some good advice. Thanks.

Target ideas please?

I've been lucky to be able to get out to 450yds at my brothers, he got some scrap plate bout 1" thick and 8" at 300yds. 10" at 450 yds , painted council yellow or sub sea yellow,best colour for seeing hits / splash.
    Any dents are painted over .

Once plate quite cratered he just quick weld to fill holes and both reasonably flat again

You can pay loads to get hardox special material & I,believe it's great , but we have acces to a welder and can weld so cheaper .

Warning .......highly addictive !

Paul

Coke cans, coconut, watermelon (very impressive when hit by a 338) apples, clay pigeons, balloons......

The limit is your imagination

Regards

Pete

Home | Varminting UK
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Big bit of offcut plasterboard and a marker pen.

DJV 100M Roe Buck or Sitting Fox Paper Target.

Paste onto a piece of plywood with wallpaper adhesive and support with a couple 1M 40X40mm posts.

May as well see how these critters look at such ranges so you may marvel at the achievements of SD and Facebook Long-Range Stalkers.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

bh targets gong shooting is more fun

The exploding targets are fun and the 1" ones are challenging at 200+
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

I like a board about 1 meter square. 8" circle in the middle which is your kill zone. If you're not inside it at your distance it's a missed or even worse an injured beast. A 100% success rate means you can reliably kill with a body shot at that distance. The extra space around the circle allows you to see where you missed.

Keep moving it out 50 yards at a time from 200 yds and see at what distance you start to fail the 100% test.

With a bit of cross wind about it is quite surprising how often you start to fail outside 200 yds but with that extra board around the target you learn pretty quickly how much you need to adjust.

Outside 400 yds it starts to get really tricky.....
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert J View Post
    I am lucky enough to have been invited out to a safe piece of ground where we can shoot targets out to around 300 metres. Sounds like fun!
    i have .243 and .308 stalking rifles with 7x and 9x magnification scopes respectively. The question is: What type and size of target would be appropriate out to this distance with these calibers and those magnification scopes? And, maybe, the best place to buy such a target?
    Hope to get some good advice. Thanks.
    I like a target like this one with a lower power scope - http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10005.pdf however I would want to put it onto a large board with a white backer so I can see the fall of shot when I miss the A4 sheet.

I wouldn't adjust your stalking zero, just shoot for group.

Have fun.

JCS