Target ideas please?

Rupert J

I am lucky enough to have been invited out to a safe piece of ground where we can shoot targets out to around 300 metres. Sounds like fun!
i have .243 and .308 stalking rifles with 7x and 9x magnification scopes respectively. The question is: What type and size of target would be appropriate out to this distance with these calibers and those magnification scopes? And, maybe, the best place to buy such a target?
Hope to get some good advice. Thanks.

I've been lucky to be able to get out to 450yds at my brothers, he got some scrap plate bout 1" thick and 8" at 300yds. 10" at 450 yds , painted council yellow or sub sea yellow,best colour for seeing hits / splash.
Any dents are painted over .

Once plate quite cratered he just quick weld to fill holes and both reasonably flat again

You can pay loads to get hardox special material & I,believe it's great , but we have acces to a welder and can weld so cheaper .

Warning .......highly addictive !

Paul

DJV 100M Roe Buck or Sitting Fox Paper Target.

Paste onto a piece of plywood with wallpaper adhesive and support with a couple 1M 40X40mm posts.

May as well see how these critters look at such ranges so you may marvel at the achievements of SD and Facebook Long-Range Stalkers.

K

I like a board about 1 meter square. 8" circle in the middle which is your kill zone. If you're not inside it at your distance it's a missed or even worse an injured beast. A 100% success rate means you can reliably kill with a body shot at that distance. The extra space around the circle allows you to see where you missed.

Keep moving it out 50 yards at a time from 200 yds and see at what distance you start to fail the 100% test.

With a bit of cross wind about it is quite surprising how often you start to fail outside 200 yds but with that extra board around the target you learn pretty quickly how much you need to adjust.

Outside 400 yds it starts to get really tricky.....

I am lucky enough to have been invited out to a safe piece of ground where we can shoot targets out to around 300 metres. Sounds like fun!
i have .243 and .308 stalking rifles with 7x and 9x magnification scopes respectively. The question is: What type and size of target would be appropriate out to this distance with these calibers and those magnification scopes? And, maybe, the best place to buy such a target?
Hope to get some good advice. Thanks.

I like a target like this one with a lower power scope - http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10005.pdf however I would want to put it onto a large board with a white backer so I can see the fall of shot when I miss the A4 sheet.

I wouldn't adjust your stalking zero, just shoot for group.

Have fun.

JCS

BH targets are good for instant clarification on if you've hit it or not and they will last a long time if shot beyond 200m. Could hang them in front of a cardboard or plasterboard sheet to check where the shots are going if you miss. Just shooting paper will be a pain to keep walking back and forth to check at those distances. I ordered on of the BH AR500 steel targets in the "heard and torso" shape as gives me a small square for closer or more precise shooting and the larger square for longer distance kill shot practice .

Hi All, some great ideas so thank you all for them. I have a few days to get ready, so I'll gather the stuff together.
golf ball sounds a challenge at 300m!
thanks again.
R

Back