Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka t3 ctr 308

Tikka t3 ctr 308

I'm considering buying one of these, as my primary red deer rifle.
    However this is putting me off, are there any alternatives

MAGAZINE, TRG-22,10-ROUND,308 WIN - Brownells UK

thats 245.80 for a spare mag,
    I hope that one mag will be enough.
    However if it I lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cornwall Deer View Post
    I'm considering buying one of these, as my primary red deer rifle.
    However this is putting me off, are there any alternatives

MAGAZINE, TRG-22,10-ROUND,308 WIN - Brownells UK

thats 245.80 for a spare mag,
    I hope that one mag will be enough.
    However if it I lose it.
    So, don't lose it, Ive never lost one, and you shouldn't need more than ten shots I'd hope.

And they do come up 2nd hand occasionally for less than 100.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

I have the 260 version. It will put 10 shots into 6 inches at 500 m and is quite good for stalking despite the large scope. I may be able to get TRG mags a bit cheaper. PM me.

Can't envision a CTR as a hunting rifle. I have the T-3 Lite in 308. That's a fine hunting rifle.~Muir

Unfortunately ANYTHING to do with a trg is expensive

must agree with Muirs comments on the t3 lite in .308 - it's a fiiiinnnnnne stalking rifle

will be selling mine soon to fund another trg lol
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	810.9 KB 
ID:	59148

Alternatives to the CTR are a sporter/varmint fitted with AI style aftermarket mag systems.
    Or get an aftermarket alu bottom metal for the original T3 plastic mags that needs no fitting in a normal T3 stock.
    Up to now I got on fine with the original T3 plastic mag/plastic bottom set up however some seem to have problems.

I recently fitted a CTR magazine system to a stock which is quite labour intensive. The result however is very good and the CTR magazine feeds extremely well (because of the single row feed). The 10 shot T3 mag does not stick out much further than a 5 shot AICS magazine. I don't see any problems hunting with one. One would maybe want to have the swivel studs fitted to the left side of the stock to make carrying over the shoulder more comfortable.
    edi

As mentioned, an after market chassis is an option to change over to the more common AI mag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TikkaCTR_web_zps5e102c9b.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	59159

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Can't envision a CTR as a hunting rifle. I have the T-3 Lite in 308. That's a fine hunting rifle.~Muir
    Wise words
    Bryn

Quote Originally Posted by bryn View Post
    Wise words
    Bryn
    I actually think it would make a fine red deer rifle, especially for a longer shot, medium weight barrel....plenty in the magazine and weighs the same as a M03 Mauser stalker. I know which one I would choose.
    My stalking rifles all have AI magazines (5 shot mainly) since many years and they work much more reliable than any other mag/drop plate system I have seen.
    As I mentioned before the swivel positioning on the stock is important so that the mag doesn't dig into the back.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    I actually think it would make a fine red deer rifle, especially for a longer shot, medium weight barrel....plenty in the magazine and weighs the same as a M03 Mauser stalker. I know which one I would choose.
    My stalking rifles all have AI magazines (5 shot mainly) since many years and they work much more reliable than any other mag/drop plate system I have seen.
    As I mentioned before the swivel positioning on the stock is important so that the mag doesn't dig into the back.
    edi
    Apart from the added weight, why would it be less effective as a stalking rifle than a t3 lite.
    Its only 700gs heavier and that's less than a t8.
    I believe a heavy barrelled 30 cal might be a better choice, I,ve got a pm11 to go on top.
    Most of my red are shot from a high seat so weight is not a major concern.
    Thanks for the heads up on the swivel mounts, that did concern me.