Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Advice on FAC application

  1. #1

    Advice on FAC application

    Hi all, so as I said on my intro post I'm brand new to the deer stalking side of shooting and I'm trying to get up and running.
    OK so basically I want to get in to deer stalking and I'm just wondering the best way to go about it? I already have a shotgun certificate so I'm sort of aware of the application process. Although I've heard the FAC is more in depth and can be trickier to obtain.
    I currently do not have a permission to shoot on any land but that's not to say I won't in the future. I will more than likely start of going on payed stalks a few times a year and then when (If) I get my FAC may start to look for a permission.
    Would stalking a few times a year be considered a "Good reason" by the police to own a rifle?
    As I said I'm new to all this and just looking for guidance before I apply and don't want to get it wrong.

    Thanks in advance

    Stuart

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by astrostu View Post
    Would stalking a few times a year be considered a "Good reason" by the police to own a rifle?
    Yes

  3. #3
    If yo have a receipt for a future stalk you have booked, that is a "good reason" to acquire a deer calibre rifle. FEOs don't like it, but there's nothing they can do about it.

    This can be a controversial bit of advice, but if you're new to stalking, then as well as doing what you've described above (which is all very sensible), I would do DSC1, which gives you a fairly broad on-paper overview of the basics of deer and stalking them. Some people get strangely furious about the existence of the two DSCs, but I enjoyed doing mine and found it a useful start. No substitute for experience, but a nice complement to it.

  4. #4
    Stalking as a guest, even if you are paying is "good reason", however the police can be awkward if you are new to shooting, especially in respect of deer legal centrefires. The sort of things that you can do to weigh things in your favour in addition to booking some stalks are to join a rifle club with a centrefire range and qualify for DSC 1, neither of these are mandatory though.

    atb Tim

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Stalking as a guest, even if you are paying is "good reason", however the police can be awkward if you are new to shooting, especially in respect of deer legal centrefires. The sort of things that you can do to weigh things in your favour in addition to booking some stalks are to join a rifle club with a centrefire range and qualify for DSC 1, neither of these are mandatory though.

    atb Tim
    Sound advise.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Stalking as a guest, even if you are paying is "good reason", however the police can be awkward if you are new to shooting, especially in respect of deer legal centrefires. The sort of things that you can do to weigh things in your favour in addition to booking some stalks are to join a rifle club with a centrefire range and qualify for DSC 1, neither of these are mandatory though.

    atb Tim
    +1
    I am currently awaiting my FLO decision on a variation for my rifles to be used for stalking ( second attempt after following wrong advice from them last year).
    I took DSC1 and booked with a very reputable outfit before applying again. This time round the questions asked were more about how I would acquire stalking without a lease or permission. I told them that I intended to use the same outfitter to learn the ropes before contemplating obtaining a lease, which seemed to satisfy them. Only time will tell.

  7. #7
    Regardless of your FAC I'd get started ASAP with some paid stalks. There are plenty of good guys out there and there is plenty to learn and experience in that way that doesn't require you having your own rifle.

    My first FAC application is in now but I've been stalking for a few years already relying on paid stalks and help from the local deer management group which I joined (albeit a non-active member as far as deer control goes!). I've managed to shoot a few deer, done some home butchery, learned loads and passed my level 1. Obvioulsy none of those things are essential to getting your FAC but I'm hoping it will make the process a bit easier...

    Plus I have limited cash to spare for this so decided I'd rather get some stalking done than spend time saving for a rifle I had nowhere to use! Suppose it depends on your priorities - getting the rifle(s!) or doing the stalking. Now I want to do both!!

    You will certainly get plenty of good advice (and a fair few opinions...) on here!

    Andy

  8. #8
    Thoroughly agree with andyf.

    Get some stalking done to ensure that it is actually something you would like learn about.

    If your wish is to learn about and do some stalking, you do not actually need a rifle until you have somewhere to shoot of your own. Your money would be better spent on stalking than on a rifle.

    If your wish is to own a rifle, either join a club range or book some stalks to show good reason.

    Alan

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    Regardless of your FAC I'd get started ASAP with some paid stalks. There are plenty of good guys out there and there is plenty to learn and experience in that way that doesn't require you having your own rifle.

    My first FAC application is in now but I've been stalking for a few years already relying on paid stalks and help from the local deer management group which I joined (albeit a non-active member as far as deer control goes!). I've managed to shoot a few deer, done some home butchery, learned loads and passed my level 1. Obvioulsy none of those things are essential to getting your FAC but I'm hoping it will make the process a bit easier...

    Plus I have limited cash to spare for this so decided I'd rather get some stalking done than spend time saving for a rifle I had nowhere to use! Suppose it depends on your priorities - getting the rifle(s!) or doing the stalking. Now I want to do both!!

    You will certainly get plenty of good advice (and a fair few opinions...) on here!

    Andy
    Thanks Andy and fingers crossed for your FAC 👍 I noticed in your profile your from Glasgow and was wondering if you could name a few good places to take payed stalking with. I'm currently looking at stalking school near Elgin. They do a one day introduction to stalking for 125 you heard of them?

    Thanks again
    Stuart

  10. #10
    Thanks everyone for your replies and pms very informative.
    I think I will go ahead with getting some payed stalking under my belt first and get a wee record of experience to build a case for FAC.
    I've also heard you need to state what you will use your rifle for and this will be marked on your certificate, and this is all you can use it for and thats it.
    Eg. If you say shooting deer with . 243 on payed stalking... That's all you can do? Eg. No shooting on permissions or other pest species. Is this true?

Similar Threads

  1. First FAC Application - Not Going Well
    By Toxster in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 30-09-2013, 21:12
  2. FAC application advice please
    By filzee in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 16:15
  3. FAC Application
    By shotguntom in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26-04-2012, 10:36
  4. FAC Application
    By Miroku6000 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-05-2011, 20:48
  5. FAC application
    By Dorsetvetstudent in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-09-2010, 23:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •