Thread: High Seat Placement

High Seat Placement

Where is the best place for putting a high seat ? ATM I have one slightly inside some woodland but want to move it into a more open location. I have three options (For Fallow)

1) A large meadow, it can get quite boggy and is overgrown. The grass is about waist height most places. The ground is too boggy to get a tractor in to cut (Farmer tried before and kept getting stuck).

2) A large opening of bracken. I have seen a few deer stood out amongst this once so they do pass by. ...Not sure if they pass through or bed down here.

3) Just picked up these fields near by. Some large fields that the farmer has cut for Hay, its sloping downhill but right in the middle about 75yards from the trees is a large wooden pylon (Is this safe to lean a seat against?)

What you reckon lads ?

The simple obvious answer Lloyd has to be where the deer are, or at least where you will be able to see and safely shoot the deer from. Don't forget also that you have to be able to stalk into it.

I take it you mean a distribution pole when you say pylon. Don't even think about it mate, it's neither safe nor wise, the electricity distribution companies take a very dim view of that and will soon have it down.
    Last edited by 8x57; 16-07-2015 at 08:48.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Based on my experience with fallow: no matter where you put it, they'll never show up there again...

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Based on my experience with fallow: no matter where you put it, they'll never show up there again...
    I know what you mean Mungo.

Saying that I have a couple of high seats on the ground that I inherited from a friend who passed away some years ago. My friend placed three high seats and I have replaced two of them in the same locations as my friend got his initial placement just about right as I have either shot deer or seen them from these high seats.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    The simple obvious answer Lloyd has to be where the deer are, or at least where you will be able to see and safely shoot the deer from.

I take it you mean a distribution pole when you say pylon. Don't even think about it mate, it's neither safe nor wise, the electricity distribution companies take a very dim view of that and will soon have it down.
    Set up lots of times around a pole with a pigeon hide, however it is on the ground and not fixed or 8/10 feet closer to the hot juice...also up and down in a few hrs.
    I have shot foxes with the pole on my back and gun on the sticks a good few times...

As above you need to be where they are, I use trail cams to give me a working chance, yes it is a cost, however depending on the time/distance to your ground that will be the deciding factor...

All my ground is local so my circumstances are different, there are a few Fallow showing so it will require a lot of work (and luck) to get one.

I can say this, when we travel to shoot Fallow then it is from a high seat (also some seats do produce more Deer than others) as there are quite a lot on the estate which does increase your chances, around my way I have shot %95 of my Muntjac on foot just tucked up in the hedge...
    Being in the right place once is far better than being in the wrong place a lot of times...

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Cheers lads, I was leaning away from the pole anyways as the field is on side of a mountain sloping down anyways so can sit on the bank and shoot down with a safe shot.

I'm thinking of putting it up over the bracken area as I have seen them stood amongst it (When I took a 22lr for squirrels) lol! But will have a large area of view there and also a safe backstop.

I might never see anything from it but it'll be in a better position than atm and its been there for 2 years not seeing much use so even if I see one or two through the bino's I'll be happy

My recommendation is to get the "mapping for trophy bucks". When you understand the concepts from this book placing a stand will have a higher chance of success.

There are many factors to consider when placing a stand and it is quite an art.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle