Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just out of interest......what's been?

Just out of interest......what's been?

Your longest accurate (and intentional ) shot with a .22rf?
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

29 views and no-one's got any great shots to relate? Really?
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

I'll bite.

100 paces (probably about 95 metres).

Head shot bunny.

But this was on ground where I knew the landmarks, so knew exactly how far away the bunny was. And had deliberately practiced about 10 shots at 100 paces before trying the actual kill shot - so knew how much I had to aim off.

No wind as well...

Over 20 years ago, I was waiting to ambush a fox that was visiting a local wildfowl reserve. One appeared, on it's way home, and must have sensed me in the early morning light and crouched down looking at me, all I could see were its ears. I had no sticks with me, so had to shoot standing, without them. It was 80-100 yards and I was using Eley Sub-sonic ammo. I allowed for the drop and when I fired, there was no reaction from the fox. When I got to it, there was a bullet hole in the centre of the forehead. He never knew what hit him!
    Last edited by JTO; 16-07-2015 at 13:51.

i ve played with one on the 300 yards range with afew hits
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I'll bite
    No agenda

I shot a crow that I ranged at 147 yards last week. 6 x 42 and mildot reticule in no wind. It just got me wondering how many guys stretched the legs of their .22 rimmy on occasion. I'm genuinely interested as I think the .22 has a lot to offer in the right conditions

Head shot on a rabbit at 109m from a 50m zero using strelok+ and a range finder. I cant shoot any further at the moment as that is all the mildots go to with that zero distance. Either need to re zero longer or get a scope with target turrets. I haven't really used the .22 much since I bought it but one place I've started shooting at has a lovely high seat with panoramic views of a small valley so I often now take the .22 as well as my .243 or .308 and pick off rabbits while I wait for a roe or fox.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Either need to re zero longer or get a scope with target turrets
    I zero at 80. I like the idea of the target turrets, though. I hadn't considered them

Using mildots is so quick and easy but you are limited to a certain distance past your standard zero unless you drop the mag but then small targets are harder. It is a lot of fun though and as its so quiet I can pick off rabbits which keeps the plantation manager happy while waiting for the roe which keeps me happy!

Firearms awareness training (some moons ago) - started off with .22lr - re-zeroed scope @ 50mtrs then proceeded to do the standard stuff.

Moved up to .243 @ 150 mtrs - chap placed a stone on the backstop (to illustrate FMJ obliteration at that distance). Out of interest he told me to try and hit it with the .22 - no wind, stuck it on the bottom of the reticule and fired - hit it smack in the middle and split the 4" stone into 3 pieces.

'Don't get many people doing that' he said as he wandered back to put a new stone up for the .243!

regularly range and take bunnies out 80 meters - little .22 is good for more than most give it credit!
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT