Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabbit Hunting in A Remote Land Allowed?

Rabbit Hunting in A Remote Land Allowed?

Hi,

Im a newbie and all new to this hunting in Highlands. I bought an air rifle after making calls and confirming with English and Scottish firearm departsments for buying and carrying in a car an air rifle without FAC (fire arm certificate). Now, Im here to ask you kind people that If I can hunt rabbits and pheasant if I see them in a land where I wouldnt see general publics, houses or farm animals (like pictured below). I know there is no 'common land' anymore as it belongs to someone.

So am I allowed to do hunting in a remote land at all?

Any advice on this much appreciated.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highlands.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	370.6 KB 
ID:	59160

No, No, No and no...... very simple.

Edit, even if it was on common land, only people with the commoners rights to that land would have the right to take game/vermin.

I know everyone has to learn, etc, and no such thing as a stupid question, but I'm quite surprised by this one!!
    Last edited by deerstalker.308; 16-07-2015 at 13:33.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Thanks!

Where do people hunt then? Is there a designated place in Highlands where rabbit hunting is allowed?

Cheers

they get permission from the land owner....... its the only way.
    Knock on doors, but if I were you, it sounds like you could do with learning a bit more about the do's and don'ts before embarking on that mission, as I doubt you will get very far at convincing farmers you know what you're doing with your current level of questioning.

Regular Poster
    Look for an air rifle club near you. Get yourself insured - it's not terribly expensive - and will give landowners some piece of mind which will help to gain permission. Don't shoot where you don't have permission - this is against the law and will only serve to strengthen the anti-shooting arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    ...Knock on doors....convincing farmers you know what you're doing with your current level of questioning.
    Great answer deerstalker and spandit. Thanks
    I have to ask for land owners permission in such a way that they wouldn't say no. Im not good at that . Please excuse my unawareness, just to get a good understanding, those lands are hundreds of acres and how would I find the owner?

Quote Originally Posted by zakmuh View Post
    Great answer deerstalker and spandit. Thanks
    I have to ask for land owners permission in such a way that they wouldn't say no. Im not good at that . Please excuse my unawareness, just to get a good understanding, those lands are hundreds of acres and how would I find the owner?
    there begins the fun, trying to work out who owns what, only way is to knock and ask.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    there begins the fun, trying to work out who owns what, only way is to knock and ask.
    Not strictly true - you can find the land on the land registry but you have to pay to get the deeds which will tell you the owner. My advice is, don't be greedy with permissions - get one and do a good job. Land owners will often want people to control vermin but if you're spreading yourself too thin, then don't get surprised if they let others start shooting there

Oh Okay. I really appreciate both of your advice on this. Many thanks!

I thought I could just buy any air gun but when I walked into the shop, the sales person advised me to ring fire arm departments to see if they'd be happy Im buying a gun and taking it all the way to Highlands from Notts- thats first lesson. The second lesson from here, getting to know that I cant even just park the car in the tip of the mountain for hunting. Im pretty sure there'll be more lessons to be learnt once Im out there...

Live and learn eh!

Cheers

Regular Poster
    Not sure why you want to trek all the way to Scotland for rabbit shooting - there are millions of rabbits closer to you and plenty of farms, I'd warrant. Do you have a garden you could practice in to make sure it's at least zeroed? What rifle did you buy?