Help, please, ID unusual telescopic sight..

enfieldspares

Have just acquired an telescopic sight that doesn't have any name ID on it.

It is a variable 3-9 but with an unusual reticule. Like a standard "duplex" except the lower fine crosshair has six bars across it for, I am guessing, range holdover. As in the bottom half of the reticule are six circles from left to right, in diminishing sizes, marked underneath then on the reticule 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 175.

Any ideas, please, and what rifle sport would it be from?

Don't know, but it definitely sounds like a rimfire scope with circles for ranging a target of known size, like the head of a squirrel. So it may be for some .22 sport competition where you have to shoot targets quickly at a variety of ranges.

No. I never ever did. Even on a US Forum that I subscribe to. But the circles on mine do seem a "knock off" of the Shepherd 'scope concept.

Last edited:
It does sound interesting, and I agree with Southern that it sounds like a 22Lr or shotgun scope from the numbers which are presumably distances in yards or meters. At say 50 yards, how much does the biggest circle subtend?

This type of diminishing circles is also used on some lower power (3x and 4x) combat scopes for the M-16. You just quickly frame up the torso with the matching circle size, and it is sighted in to strike at the center of each circle at the matching range.

Back