View Poll Results: What should I do with my flag?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take it down, its offensive!

6 22.22%
  • Stand tall, its your heritage!

21 77.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Confederate Flag

My Confederate Flag

Back home in Virginia, I fly the Confederate Battle or more properly, the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. The soon-to-be-banned license plate of my car has the flag and a commemoration to one of the greatest generals in American history, Robert E. Lee. Why do I do this?

• I fly the Confederate Flag in respect for over a quarter million Southerners who gave their lives in the War Between the States (or the War of Northern Aggression to some historians);
    • In an era of unprecedented government overreach, it also serves as a symbol of a forgone ideal where freedom reigned, and liberty and self-reliance triumphed over despotism and dependence;
    • It was inspired by the cross of St Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland, whose enlightenment inspired George Mason and The Virginia Declaration of Rights.
    • It is thus a Christian flag which represents the majesty of the Lord and his divine role in American history, culture, and life; and
    • If this flag is to be banned because of its associations, then so too should the Stars and Stripes and the British Union Jack, both of which flew over slave ships and are waved by far-right groups.

What do you people think on this side of the pond?

I will hold my response for now.

I think this ban has been instigated because a murderer displayed it if I recall correctly, so they think there is therefore a connection between the flag and murderers or terrorists.

But where so you stop? Was he wearing Levi jeans? Did he use a Winchester firearm? Calvin Klein underwear? Are they going to ban them all?

I do see the issue because it's a flag and flags stand for something. But what about other like things that have been used by the "enemies" of the state? Do they ban totem poles or war bonnets for example? I don't see any good in banning things generally. It usually has the opposite effect of what is desired.

You guys should sort out all that boarder agency crap that is going inside your country on instead of fussing over a flag...!!

Are you a US citizen??

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

I have not voted, but I would liken this act of the American government to the knee jerks displayed by other governments in the past, will it stop misguided or evil people from using that flag for antagonistic purposes in the future? most likely not.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I don't think this site is the right place to discuss such a controversial subject. With the greatest of respect Sidewinder I suggest you discuss your country's problems elsewhere as I can only see this subject being closed down very quickly and following a lot of unpleasantness.

Note. The far right in the U.K. tend to favour the cross of St George or the various other national flags rather than the union FLAG (not jack).
    Last edited by 8x57; 16-07-2015 at 21:22.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

"I don't think this site is the right place to discuss such a controversial subject. With the greatest of respect Sidewinder I suggest you discuss your country's problems elsewhere as I can only see this subject being closed down very quickly and following a lot of unpleasantness."

Yep, good point. I am just a little conflicted as I am also British and live in the UK. I was thinking about throwing the Battle Flag on the back of my defender when I head out to the stalk. Probably not a good idea.

Give Yogi a rifle.....you have the right to arm bears.

I don't think there would be a problem if the flag only represented heritage. Unfortunately it appears to have become a symbol of hate & division to many. If this wasn't so, then why would folks like myself see it as such.

What are the supporters of this flag doing to reverse my opinion on this?

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

SD Regular
    The only Confederate flag that really mattered...