Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Headshot only......

Headshot only......

Evening all,

There is a certain estate in cornwall who I have learned have a number of stalkers working together for the deer management. They cull in excess of 300 deer a year and have their own deer park too. I was shocked to learn that they operate a "headshot only" policy in order to maximise their yield when selling the deer on.

Not sure if anyone has experience similar but I for one think its disgusting. Not only to promote headshooting, which as we all know is a contentious enough issue without it being policy! Makes you question the ethics of such estates really and also the gamekeepers who run them. A headshot certainly has a place in the hunters options, but to make it compulsory seems absurd and unethical

By their own admission they have several runners a year operating under this policy

Wanted to share this as I've been raging about it all day

KS
    Last edited by Kernow_Stalker; 16-07-2015 at 21:54.
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

I think you can debate this topic all day but unfortunately most things come down to money at the end of the day. If they only have 7 runners out of 300 that doesn't sound too bad.

estates, I am sure are hard to run at a profit at the best of times so I'm not going to judge.

What is the law in regards to cruelty?
    Is "hunting" an exemption for cruelty? It's not really a matter in regards to the 300 which were killed humanly, its the few which aren't.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

They may also have strict controls on who shoots, how good they are and how far they shoot. Would it be better if they let in guides with inexperienced shooters who only took chest shots?

I think if it's on private land and are experienced in big culls its none of anybody's business how they shoot the deer. There is a difference between promoting this type of shot and just going about your own business quietly to get a job done.

And I think you'll find, that due to them being in a park, they are contained, so they won't be going far, and I'm sure if there is a runner, then it's all hands on deck to follow it up.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

this type of culling has some obvious risks and proficiency is essential. Unfortunately such a scone only policy at those cull numbers will lead to shots that will not be lethally proficient given time and numbers. It's just the way it is when money is a driving factor and is frustrating but that is business.

Most park deer will be head shot as the risk of losing a deer is minimal. Venison will be mainly shot to order and maximum revenue obtained. Nothing to get over excited about if it is done properly at sensible ranges by the right people with the right equipment.
    MS

Stick to your guns Kernow. I won't be shooting any wild deer in head as a first choice.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Most park deer will be head shot as the risk of losing a deer is minimal. Venison will be mainly shot to order and maximum revenue obtained. Nothing to get over excited about if it is done properly at sensible ranges by the right people with the right equipment.
    MS
    Agree absolutely.

I would never head shoot a deer in the field or on the hill but when you have park animals at sensible ranges it poses no risk to animal welfare.

You are not really stalking though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437107916.501276.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	59166
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.