View Poll Results: USB chargeable ear defenders: purchase?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I would buy USB chargeable ear defenders

6 54.55%
  • No, I would not

5 45.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Rechargeable Ear Defenders

USB Rechargeable Ear Defenders

All, I think electronic ear defenders are great. However, they do tend to have funky battery sizes and always tend to run out when you don't want them too.

I have a Petzl headtorch that charges off a micro USB cable. Fenix also do series of torches that are chargeable from micro USB. Why have none of the ear defender manufacturers made one?

With a micro USB you can charge it at your desk, home or car really easily and not have to worry about various proprietary chargers. Simples. Come on Impact, Peltor et al, get it on with doing it!

Scrumbag
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

Sounds a plan to me. Could just leave them plugged in on the way to shoot.

David.

Where's the problem. The batteries last for a long time and i just carry AA & AAA spare batteries in the truck. I've just bought a pair of in the ear moulded custom plugs and the batteries last 360 hours.

That being said, and it isn't that long if you forget to turn them off and put them away, the ability to recharge without fiddling batteries in and out and the water resistance could probably be improved by only having a tiny charging slot with a decent plug.

David.

I'm with Jagare on this one. (Mind you, the Swedish side of my family would lynch me if I wasn't.) The Peltor Sportac turn themselves off after two hours and last forever on a set of batteries.

I also have the Peltor WS-Lite Com. The lithium battery pack that comes with them also lasts (for all intents and purposes) forever.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitter View Post
    I'm with Jagare on this one. (Mind you, the Swedish side of my family would lynch me if I wasn't.) The Peltor Sportac turn themselves off after two hours and last forever on a set of batteries.
    Ditto for me, last forever. If you really need a rechargeable option then one of those 12v plug-in AA/AAA chargers on the go in the vehicle covers it.

EDIT TO ADD:

Another thing to add into the mix.

If an inbuilt battery pack goes pop then it's either the end of the ear defenders or having to send them back to the manufacturer or agent for repair/replacement, possibly with a cost to be factored in. If a pair of AAA batteries go on the blink..................
    Last edited by Orion; 17-07-2015 at 13:49.

FWIW, My Howard Leight Impact Sport last very well.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitter View Post
    Happy with carrying a spare set of AAA in the range bag for my Sportacs
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

One problem with any battery is that they are adversely affected by the cold so something rechargeable that is used almost exclusively outdoors and at least half the time in the cold having batterie that you can't easily replace means the batteries often fail to hold a charge after long. Easy when you can just swap it yourself but a pain when your expensive ear defenders have to be sent away to have no doubt expensive batteries replaced.

Well, they could run them off a couple of AAA rechargeables like the average cordless phone handset and then we could recharge them or change the cells as we liked. I don't think that would be rocket science!

David.