Thread: Binoculars broken?

Binoculars broken?

Hi all,
    I have a pair of Steiner 8x42 binoculars, which were second hand when I got them, although they aren't "old". I took them out today whilst I was walking the dogs in one of the quieter parts of our local FC forest, I like to have them along in case I spot anything interesting.
    Anyway, focussed them quickly in the car park, then slung them around my neck and went for a wander. Spotting something on a felled patch, I brought them up and found they were blurry. But when I went to adjust, the focus wheel seems to have lost much of its travel. I can't focus them out beyond about 15 yards. Obviously this is useless, so I was wondering if anybody knows what could cause this, and more importantly if I can fix it/get it fixed (cost effectively)?
    Thanks
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

http://www.opticalrepairs.com/
    Here's a good place to get advice or repairs.

Hi

It has to be worth contacting Steiner first to see what they have to say about the failure and what servicing/repair is available by them as the manufacturer.
    I would also recommend Paul Burke in Birmingham for optical repairs.

L

Intro 2020 deal with Steiner in the UK, very helpful when I've contacted them for spares

Steiner Binoculars - Contact Us

Thanks folks, we may be able to stand down though. I've had a fiddle and it seems to be working again. Either a part got sticky and had unstuck, or some kind of cack was in the mechanism. I really have no idea how the focus wheel works, so I can't say, but I'm glad it's working again! Part of me would like an excuse to buy new kit, but the other part knows I can't afford it...
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog