Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock Fitting?

Stock Fitting?

Hi all,

Anyone know how hard it would be to fit a Bell & Carlson Stock to Remington SPS? It one be done by my Dad, 40 odd years the engineer, but not a gunsmith. Talking to Mike "Chuck" Norris about fitting one he would charge 400. Im sure thats very reasonable, and his work is very good - but is it that hard to do yourself?

Thanks
    Sam
    Last edited by Sam; 18-04-2010 at 10:18.
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Chuck used to make some good films Sam.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Ah Sorry for the confusion. "Chuck Norris" King of the round house kick to the face Is not whom I refer to in this case. On a different note look at this http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/.

I refer to Mike Norris, of Brock & Norris Custom Rifles. Known to a few in certain circles as Chuck

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Sam

if you have the Bell and Carlson stock in your possession and it is inletted for the Rem 700 (short or long action you do not specify), then it is a simple matter of undoing the two action bolts, removing them , take out barrelled action, take out bottom metal and magazine box.

Transfer all items to new stock and re tighten bolts to 65 INCH pounds.

Takes 5 mins max.

400 to do this????

Or was it 400 to supply stock and fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    Or was it 400 to supply stock and fit?
    Thanks for that redmist. I thought it would go something like that. 400 was to supply and fit. Would you need to bed the action or anything? Im really new to all this customizing lark!

Thanks
    Sam

I thought it would go something like that. 400 was to supply and fit
    and that's for a bit of plastic sheesh you can get a good rifle on it's own for 400, maybe not new but ...........................

And yes IMHO it would need bedding as each action will probably be slightly different, even the bit of tube Remington uses will have differences. Not only that but I thought the SPS came with a plastic stock already?

Boy am I glad I like older classic rifles .

Sam I wish you luck with your project and I really hope the end product is pleasing for you. Sorry but I just cannot get my head around the money for bits of plastic .

Sam

Am I correct in assuming that the Bell and Carlson stock has an aluminium bedding block already fitted in it? If it does, you may find that no bedding work as such will be required once the retaining bolts have been secured. I have used HS Precision stocks in the past before moving on to McMillan's and whilst I did have additional bedding work done, it was probably unnecessary for what I was using that particular rifle for. If you have not committed yourself to the B & C, it may be worth your while having a look at the HS Precision website. They make some very nice similar stocks, as well as supplying the one that Remington fit to their VSSF's. My mate uses 2 thumb-hole versions which are incredibly comfortable to shoot with and seem to soak up the recoil well.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Sam

Am I correct in assuming that the Bell and Carlson stock has an aluminium bedding block already fitted in it?

Good luck.
    Hi,

I belive they do have the bedding block. Thanks very much, its going to be a general stalking rifle, so Im not as bothered about accuracy as some of my target chums - but I think it should be sub 1" though.

Thanks
    Sam

Sam, some of your & my target "Chums" would be very happy with 1" groups.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

At a hundred metres?! By Gum! I would be worried with all their bells and whistles!