Another tyre Q ?

norma 308

Just purchased a 11plate L200 tyre size 245-65-17
there doesn't seem to be a lot of All terrain options I've had G grabber and BFG on the old truck and liked both what do SD members put on their l200s with the same tyre size can I change sizes and not balls the truck up ?
Cheers Norma

Just purchased a 11plate L200 tyre size 245-65-17
there doesn't seem to be a lot of All terrain options I've had G grabber and BFG on the old truck and liked both what do SD members put on their l200s with the same tyre size can I change sizes and not balls the truck up ?
Cheers Norma

Hi Norma,

I have put BFG KM2 Mud terrain 245/70/17 on my l200 and they work great a bit noisy on road but fantastic off-road.

cheers Neil.

Hi Norma,

I have put BFG KM2 Mud terrain 245/70/17 on my l200 and they work great a bit noisy on road but fantastic off-road.

cheers Neil.

got these on my ranger, as above great in mud but expect your mpg to drop, mine did by around 70 miles less per tank, don't notice the noise tho! Would go for the cooper at3 next time as seen a few trucks do well with them.

Just put tyre size in eBay and find 2 x 245 65 17 from Germany at £198 delivered free. I have done this and they were here in a week.

Think,I've gotta go up to 245-70-17 slightly bigger(can't find BFG or GG SMALLER ON 17"rims ) so what happens if I get a puncture my spare is 245-65-17 can I get home on that without damaging say my gearbox as one corner will be smaller ??
Cheers

Last edited:
I would avoid the Grabber all terrain. Unless it dry the tread quickly becomes overwhelmed particularly in clay. BFG would be my choice.

Think,I've gotta go up to 245-70-17 slightly bigger(can't find BFG or GG SMALLER ON 17"rims ) so what happens if I get a puncture my spare is 245-65-17 can I get home on that without damaging say my gearbox as one corner will be smaller ??
Cheers

youll be fine as the diff will compensate for any difference in tyre speed (just as when cornering). Just take it a bit easier than usual and don't lock the diff (assuming an L200 has lockable diffs) while on the road.

I would avoid the Grabber all terrain. Unless it dry the tread quickly becomes overwhelmed particularly in clay. BFG would be my choice.
I've had both before the at2 tread is as nr identicle to the BFG tread pattern as I could see but the BFG was good for many many miles

I've had both before the at2 tread is as nr identicle to the BFG tread pattern as I could see but the BFG was good for many many miles
I think you are right, the earlier pattern tread seemed fine but the newer? Swirlyattern has on two occaixions required a winch rescue!

Was going to say I had Bridgestone Duellers on my old L200 and never had much trouble even towing friends overloaded trucks of fields when they got to greedy with firewood.
Now have BFG At on the Defender.

I work in a remould tyre factory and have a set of bf goodrich mud terrain km2 copies on my volvo xc90. Cost me £15 a tyre lol. Putting general grabber AT2 tyres on during summer and the monster remoulds on in winter

Google Kingpin tyres and that's the company I work for. Although I do the lorry tyres not the 4x4 and car.

Also pulled my brother's Defender 90 out 3 times when he got stuck. Was real funny pulling a defender out with a Xc90 lol

It will alter the speedo reading, you may be doing 5mph ish more than you think

Cheers

I checked mine with a gps once I fitted my BFG KM2 and the speedo was more accurate than before.

regards Neil.

Yep I agree, I did the same a while back and the GPS & the car speedo read the same, before that the GPS always read 5mph slower, don't know which one was right!

Back